Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

best plants to create hedge along front boundary

Page 1 of 1
I have a long narrow strip of sand/soil (500mm wide and 13 metres in length) between my front fence and the footpath that i would like to turn into a hedge for a bit of privacy. Im after the right information about what is the best plant to create this. I live in perth southern suburbs, want something that will grow to about 1.5metres tall and preferably non flowering. This area roughly gets full sunlight for about 7 hours per day and there is alexander palms on other side of fence approx 1 metre from where i want to put hedge. Any information on plant type, spacing distance and soil prep would be greatly appreciated.
Step one is to fix the sterile sandy soil.
1. Bentonite Clay 2-5kg/m2.
2. Zeolite. 2-5kg/m2
3. Some compost/soil improver or what ever name they giving it. Baileys Soil Improver in bags is the best any garden centre sells. No matter what the product you buy, use the equivalent volume of 1-2 bags per m2. Any more than that and it goes to waste, finding its way out the bottom of your garden and into places it need not be.

The non flowering bit is going to be tough because nearly all plants flower. So lets go with things that don't heavily flower.
Melaleuca nesophila "Little Nessie" will come in at just under that height. A sensational hedge. will flower but only for a short time each year. So 11mths of no flower.
Radermachera Summer scent or "SummerScentation" as it is sometimes sold. Does flower and is it sold as a feature of it but in reality it is for a short while only compared with the length of a year. Not messy anyway. Easy to keep clipped to 1.5m. In fact the owner of a very big WA nursery has them as a hedge out the front of his coastal home.

Now we can also look at some of my favs. The Eremophilas. Yes they flower but only for a short while. Birds are the most interested in them. The flowers are only around for a short while. Such good hedging plants for something low to medium. The more I'm using them, the more I'm loving them.
Many different ones to choose from. The only one that failed as an experiment was the incredible Eromophila nivea. Prefers clipping 3-4 times a year but its not enough for a hedge which will need more than that to look tidy. Looked amazing while it lasted though.

My front hedge is Eremophila maculata. Don't recall what fancy one it was. Works it buttocks off with no problems -ever.

Oh.. Melaleuca Green Globe is a ripper.
Also Callistemon Great Balls of Fire. Hard to get but worth the effort. There will be some available in coming months but they aren't ready for sale yet. These are not big on flower like its relatives. Sensational foliage colour for a part of the year. Tough green leaves the rest of the year.

Based on some of your requirements I present the best plant list... in the world:
http://www.watercorporation.com.au/w/wa ... esults.cfm

Damn it! Well the search results won't link back

So tick the relative boxes and take it from there:
http://www.watercorporation.com.au/w/wa ... d.cfm?id=9
the callistemon great balls of fire are listed as grown at 3 nurseries in perth. These look lovely in the pics I've seen. one looks to be a sell to public they do free delivery as far as perth for purchases min $200. So if you are willing to buy sight unseen or plan a trip down towards margaret river--> http://everydaypottedplants.com/

Also found that http://www.domusnursery.com.au/ ( wholesale) and http://www.benaranurseries.com ( wholesale) stock them
I might give them a go when i do my next small hedging attempt . ( not sure when) but looks like they'd have worked as well as the dwarf nandinas I planted for a short hedge last week. Prob would have been an even better thing to plant
We are using escalonia a green glossy shrub that according to our nursery survives anything !! Grows to about 2 meters and has a white flower but only part of the year, no berries .
We live in NSW so do not know if they grow well in WA
I've got a don't pick. for you. Just posted this in another thread.

Don't pick african boxwood-Myrsine africana for your hedge. Mum's a keen gardener and heavily involved in gardening maintenance in her retirement village. many have planted these and she said the amount of runners etc coming up everywhere is a nightmare. Plus despite them being supposedly slow growing they grow quickly enough down here to look untidy if someone is trying to keep them as a formal hedge.
hi dunda - did u decide which one to go for?
hey guys, have decided to go with the great balls of fire. having prob getting in perth though as the places that sell it wont sell to general public and dont know anyone with their own abn.
See the post I did 5 above this for somewhere that will deliver and does sell to the public( according to their website)
Related
6/12/2023
Create of a restriction on the title

Building A New House

Flamingo Give me a call and I will do my best to talk you through it. For those who would like an answer, Subject to seeing your actual DA condition, I think you are…

3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

25/01/2024
Plants for Pool in Melbourne

Landscape & Garden Design

Murraya could be a great option for you. It creates a great tall screening hedge but doesn't drop fruit like lily pilly. The flowers smell divine.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum