Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Building up a terrace

Page 1 of 1
I have a sandstone terrace (made from sandstone slabs placed vertically in the ground and then cemented together).

I wanted to raise the height of this terracing (so that the land above it will be flat). I was wondering where there was a technique to increase the stability of the structure (i.e. so that when I have two slabs on top of each other that they don't break at the join)?
It sounds Like you are building a retaining wall which is a lot more complicated than just putting slabs on edge.

Have a look at this link: http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=1585
The wall isn't really going to be that high - it is perhaps 15 cm at the moment and I wanted to add another 20 cm on top of this. Would bondcrete help to bind the two slabs together or would this not be sufficient?
D101
The wall isn't really going to be that high - it is perhaps 15 cm at the moment and I wanted to add another 20 cm on top of this. Would bondcrete help to bind the two slabs together or would this not be sufficient?

No bonddcrete won't make any difference, the pressure only a small wall can develop is considerable.

The only reason councils aren't interested in smaller walls is because nobody is hurt when they fall over. I see plenty of brick walls 3-400mm high that are falling over every day at work.
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum