Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Spreading excess fill over site - Is it a bad idea?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I have done a search through the forums but wasn't able to find the answer I was hoping for... so i'm hoping some of you experts can give me some assistance!

Our build has just commenced - along with a lovely 2m high pile of fill that they have dumped in our yard. We are responsible for removing this, and the SS has suggested spreading it out over the remaining 600m2+ of the back yard... In theory it sounds good -we are on a bit of a slope, and it may help level out some areas of the yard, but is it going to cause us grief later???

My concerns are that it will not provide is with a good base once the house is complete for grass, gardening, etc... we have no landscaping plans as yet, but the grass on the block so far is quite thick - but more like paddock grass, rather than something nice.

Would love to know if you think its worth spreading it out, or should we bite the bullet and pay someone to take it away??

Cheers,
Jo
Why is it your responsibility to get rid of it if your builder brought it to your site? Tell your builder to remove the excess material at his own cost.
Part of our contract was that any extra dirt was the responsibility of the owners, not the builder. Because they didn't know exactly how much there would be, they were not prepared to quote to remove it.
Retaining walls? Backfill.
At this stage (fingers crossed) we won't need much in the way of retaining walls... There will be a thin one down the side of the house, but definately wont take much to backfill. I reckon this pile of dirt we need to get rid of is about 3m x 3m in size, and at least 2m high. haha :\
Matt+Jo
At this stage (fingers crossed) we won't need much in the way of retaining walls... There will be a thin one down the side of the house, but definately wont take much to backfill. I reckon this pile of dirt we need to get rid of is about 3m x 3m in size, and at least 2m high. haha :\

Depending on the slope, what about putting in some tiers? Might help with the garden design.
Is there a possibility that you can decide later?? Does it need to be gone now?
We thought about getting rid of ours (not quite as much as yours), were lucky enough to have access to the back of our block so left it to decide later, now we are in and it has all been used around retaining walls, levelling, etc.
If it needs to be gone now, maybe you could spread some and get some removed. That way you are not paying for the whole lot to be removed.
True. We need to move it from its current location because its right where our 15,000l water tank needs to sit but hopefully they can just "relocate" it for us for less of a cost.
Soil dug out is going to expand at a much greater ratio. It is very deceiving.

Even though it looks like a lot, when it compacts you might find it will be enough for your retaining wall.
Related
27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

20/09/2023
Zero Lot Issue & Need Idea

General Discussion

You must be new to the internet. You're also the only person anyone here has ever heard of washing their garage wall. I hate to break it to you, there are insects and…

12/09/2023
Sand or soil to fill in a trench

General Discussion

sand is better drainage than soil

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum