Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Best organic non-liquid fertilizers for Sir Walter?

Page 1 of 1
I know, Seasol and similar liquids ... but it takes me forever.

So, I'm looking for a great granular fertilizer with similar essential qualities to Seasol.
I need this for the lawn, not for "general" use or for garden beds.

Can anyone help?

Hi Lex,

I have used Dynamic Lifter on the garden beds - they also make a granular mix for Lawns that will fit through a lawn spreader. In the winter months I use Blood and Bone.

Been busy in the back garden - new photos on blog.
OMG, your house looks like from a magazine, well done!!!

And thanks for the reply
... I wonder if DL for turf smell like the normal one??
What about Seamungus (blue packaging, which is granules, or green packaging, which is crumble)? I use it in garden beds and vegie patch. It says it's suitable for lawns too.

http://www.neutrog.com.au/assets/Brochure-PDFs/Home-Garden-PDFs/NEU-SMG-A4-0310lr.pdf

Available at Bunnings. You might find larger quantities and better price through rural supplies.
+1for seamungus, pulverized version if you can as it looks slightly better on lawns. I've only used the normal
Version because that was what I had
Hmmm, I never thought of it as a "complete replacement" for turf fertilizer!

So what is the pulverised form? And what packaging it's in? Do they sell it in BGS?

Is the crumble form better than granules? What is larger - crumble or granules?!

Did I mention that it's a Sir Walter lawn (if it matters) ... there, I've changed the title of the thread
Seamungus (blue packaging, which is granules, or green packaging, which is crumble)

the pellets take longer to break down. hence I suggested the crumble for lawn. Also harder for dogs to gobble them up. My dog thinks they are delicious.
kexkez
... My dog thinks they are delicious.

but then he also loves the taste of blood and bone. sigh. not the nicest doggy breath aroma.
Lex
OMG, your house looks like from a magazine, well done!!!

And thanks for the reply
... I wonder if DL for turf smell like the normal one??

Thanks Lex, very happy with the result - garden blooming with Spring so time to add more plants.

DL smell is only for a day or so

Might give the Seamungus a go as surely I need shares in Seasol/Powerfeed.

Also, my dog loves Blood and Bone
Would be happier if she tried the snails
Debra50
Hi Lex,

I have used Dynamic Lifter on the garden beds - they also make a granular mix for Lawns that will fit through a lawn spreader. In the winter months I use Blood and Bone.

Hi Debra - garden is looking great - well done!
Mclaren
Debra50
Hi Lex,

Hi Debra - garden is looking great - well done!

Thanks McLaren - last one for us; too many parts ache! I'm an old Adelaide girl.
Thanks, ladies

Maybe the dogs like the fertilisers because they are truly organic !?!?! That would be a nice test! (no offence, sorry
)
I wonder if they would ever try to eat the synthetic ones? (Hhmmm, they probably didn't have a chance ... seeing that they own (or belong to ??
) some smart and informed h1 people
and not just anyone off the street ... ) ...
I alternate between seamungus green and dynamic lifter every 3-4 months or so.

Ive been really slack and havent seasol/molass'essed (cant spell that) for ages... Grass is still green though so wont get yelled at just yet...

And yes the stupid dogs eats the seamungus and then manages to run through the lawn as im watering it and gets seamungus all over her white fluffy paws. Which she then takes inside... So you can imagine what happens from here..
At least the dog is happy!

Update ... or no update, actually. I haven't done anything yet! Now that the weather is starting to heat up (with some rain forecast in between the hot bursts), I don't want to add to the speed of growth
and then maaaybe have to mow it a week or two sooner!
Still haven't mowed since 1st May
and it still doesn't need mowing. So it's been more than 5 months!
Only some narrow strips along high walls/shade have grown a little bit higher, the main lawn is still like recently cut!

But, hehehe, I've watered the lawn
(sporadically though) since I started this thread!! And will just leave it to see what happens. I might at some stage (after a good rain) apply all that seasol that I still have ...
laziness permitted, of course ...

And it seems like seamungus is the way to go if all else fails ... errr ... or maybe that should be the first thing to do !!??!
Debra50
... as surely I need shares in Seasol/Powerfeed.

Yep, with that price tag and the amount one needs

Debra50
Also, my dog loves Blood and Bone
Would be happier if she tried the snails
Ah, dogs ...
Update

Firstly, looks like Seamungus green has been discountined.

Secondly, I did it! I used the terribly smelly chicken pellets (Hortico brand) because it says it's 100% organic. However, this is a very balanced fertilizer, so I dunno how much greening up will I eventually see ... And yes, it does stink, but as someone said, only for a few days

The problem I see with this, and probably any other fertilizer that is not the size of a piece of sand, is that it stays on top of the turf and very little falls down to the roots and gets used. Unless you water it for a month for 10 hours each day hahahaha so it eventually breaks down into smaller particles ..
I used Dino fert but it does have a slight smell. which dissapates quite quick after you water it in well
Related
15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

12/02/2024
KDR - non-inclusions from Overseas

Building A New House

Thanks. There are plenty of builders around my suburb. I'll make sure to do some door-to-door knocking, or note their building details on the temp fence.

7/03/2024
Framing timber size needed for a double wall system in non-l

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Long story short, a toilet room is going to back onto our main bedroom and I want to make it close to soundproof. Im going to build two frames (pretty much a room within a…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum