Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Type of grass?

Page 1 of 1
Just moved into a new house and am trying to work out what type of grass I have. It is very spongy and I know I have a patch of buffalo (I think - second photo) also.

Thanks,
Chris
Looks to be a variety of couch.
The other bit appears to be a bit of winter grass.

If you want to fix it wait till summer and:
Vertimow it.
Apply zeolite at 1-3kg m2
Lightly topdress it with an organic compost (rather than the "lawn top dresses", "lawn sands" or "lawn mixes")

Wouldn't worry about treating the weeds or winter grass till next year. It will show again and there will already be loads of seeds there.

You can vertimow yourself. Hire the machine from a hire mob.
You will also need a skip of around 3-4m3 for a big lawn or 2 for a small lawn.

The ultimate budget version is to use a rotary mower fitted with new blades set really low with no catcher. You'll need a good wide strong rake. A heap of time and a trailer or ute to load up the clippings. The do some trips to the tip, over and over and over.

At the end of it all, make sure you limit fertiliser use. If compelled to use it, only slow release fertiliser should be used like Munns Golf Course Green.
Make sure the lawn isn't getting too much water.
It will need as much sun as possible.
Didn't think Munns was a slow release???
Munns Golf Course Green is a slow release organic fertiliser. One of the best fertilisers on the market of you are into using fertilisers to make lawns "look" good.
Related
17/12/2023
Synthetic Grass DIY

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Please help me to answer this question , it will help me a lot as i can go to buy confidently with your recommendation: I want to put synthetic turf in our backyard for…

5/03/2024
What type of tile is best for outdoor patios?

Outdoor Living

Natural stone tiles like slate, travertine, and limestone add a timeless, elegant look to…

11/04/2024
What type of cladding is this

General Discussion

That looks like it, thanks very much

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum