Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Neglected Pear Tree - pruning advise please.

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Our new house has an old pear tree that need a good prune. Do I make it an open vase shape and remove all the vertical branches?

Hi, it's taken me a while to find my reference book for this!
Yes, you need to thin unwanted growth and leave a good framework of main branches in V shape.
1. Remove all undesirable limbs from older trees, cutting away and thinning lower branches.
2. Remove damaged and spent parts of the tree to prevent infection from entering the tree.
Spraying can be carried out after pruning if necessary.

Light pruning every year thereafter can be carried out.

However, it also says that "Whether light or heavy pruning is done depends on the age and condition of the tree".
A renovation of the tree may result in a reduced fruit output. However the greater benefit will be a healthier tree capable of better fruiting in years to come.

It can take two seasons for a tree to recover.

Its highly recommended to mulch the prunings and reapply under the tree. This material will be a waterwise mulch (not all mulches reduce water use) and deliver the perfect nutrient balance that tree needs.

yep the guide above will do. Don't be scared of pruning at any time of year. we can get away with that in Australia and the notion that we only prune at certain times of year is because thats what has always been done in Europe and North America. Its just been blindly done.

An excellent resource for pruning is http://www.petercoppin.com
Pete is very highly regarded in Australian Horticulture having held very senior positions in various organisations. He is also a big believer in making his wealth of knowledge accessible to the public, unlike so many in horticulture. Explore the page, the info is solid

Never feed the tree fertilisers (control release if any) instead make sure the soil is alive. Fertilisers commonly used kill the soil.

Seasol, Blood and bone, power feed, homemade compost teas, molasses in water are going to do some amazing things to soil health. Applying one of them wont cut it, although some of those things will do more than others (like the molasses and the compost tea)
If you can find rock minerals, that too is of benefit.

Peter is still more fertiliser focused than I but well aware of their implications. A balanced head rests on his shoulders.

Compost tea pretty much is a bag of shizen in a hessian bag left to soak for a couple of days.
Related
23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

4/08/2023
Tree Identification Mackay

General Discussion

Hello. I just bought a few acres in Habana, Mackay, and my horses seem to love hanging around under this tree. I would like to name the paddock after this tree. Can…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum