Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

When to plant Chinese Tallow

Page 1 of 1
Our estate has Chinese Tallow trees lining the roads and they look great. However, due to underground services the little shire garden out the front of our place never got one. We are planning to plant one away from the services, on our front lawn. By chance my Mum had a Chinese Tallow tree start growing in her garden a year or two ago and she's put it in a pot for when we're ready to plant it. I'm trying to find out if there is a particular time of year to plant them, or if we can do it at any time.
Also, we have sewerage pipes in the front yard, not too far below the surface, I've been told that Chinese Tallow have quite deep root systems, so how far away from the pipes should it be planted?
hi Guys. Tallows can grow to 8m. Tall trees have BIG roots. We have one at our place and it's finally starting to thicken up at the base.( we are on 3/4 of an acre though)
Someone else was asking about them on here before. Fu suggested a pecan tree might be better as it only grows to around 4-5m. ( you won't get pecans for many years though before you get too excited) Or even a pistachio .

Just had a quick look at your blog. I got a real excitement from seeing your build pictures. Hope that doesn't mean I want to build again. LOL anyway good luck with your build. One heads up: Once your roof is on have a good look at how dark that front passageway is. Ours has the same bend in it and although longer I suspect you might find yours will be a little dark also. On the list for us now is a solatube of some kind.
Thanks for the reply kexkez, I don't think big roots should really be a problem in the position we plan to put it if the sewerage pipes aren't a problem. As I said, there are Chinese tallow all around our estate so I'd really like it to match.

Also, our house is actually complete and we've been living in it for almost 2 years now, once the house got to the stage it was on the blog, we started to have to organise things for it and updating the blog became another chore and as a result got abandoned. Perhaps one day I'll do a completion entry. The front passage gets a little dark, but nothing problematic, a new front door with some glass in the top is on the wish list though.
Tallow will be fine. No matter what tree is planted, it's going to chase the soft soil where the trenches were dug. Why? It's easy for them.

8m is still a small tree. It's also great to know that they'll do well looking at how they've gone so far in the street.

In regard to trees, I see them done badly in every estate. Trees aren't always chosen because they are suitable. More often than not it's because they were obtained cheap or the designer didn't give a rats as long as they looked pretty on paper and when planted.

Best time to plant a tree was 20years ago. The second best time is right now.

Sent via Tapatalk
Related
30/09/2023
Indoor Plant Pots

General Discussion

Can anyone recommend a good place to order indoor…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum