Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Fixing backyard after being away for 5 months

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

We have finally finished the renovations on our house and need to fix up the backyard. We have been away for 5 months and the grass has gone crazy, as you can imagine. We have giant weeds growing out of the grass which should be easy to remove since they are so big but just wondering how to fix the grass.

Should we whipper snipper the backyard (we have a massive backyard) or is it better to use a scrub cutter? The grass is at least knee height in some places.

I got a quote from a maintenance person and she said it would be $800 for 3 people and an all day job
(whippering/moving/removing waste)
*bump*
Use a brush cutter attachment on a whipper-snipper/line trimmer, then mow at tallest height. You might have o brush-cut it 2 or 3 times depending on height and thickness

Leave for 3 days and cut no more than 1/3 of height. Repeat this step until you get to the height you want, then resume normal cutting cycle.

$800 is a lot of money, we had over 400m2 of yard in a similar condition and we found a guy to do it for $300.

Shop around for abetter price as well.
Depends if its nice roll out turf you paid a lot for or just crap. For Nice turf - take the height down by 1/3 each cut over a month or so. If its kikuyu or crap grass cut to the ground then mow. If you have a line trimmer use that, if it doesnt work get a brush cutter. You can get plastic blades for your trimmer to make it a quasi-brush cutter.
I would just use a brush cutter and take it right back to the ground. (Or do it the feel good safe way by doing the job in increments as above)

Hire the cutter.

Spray molasses and another secret ingredient. Apply some http://www.maiaustralia.com.au/store/st ... how_detail and zeolite. If you can compost all the stuff in a convenient corner. Don't waste it! That used to be your soil and not only that it has all the nutrients the lawn will be needing later. Compost it, then late autumn top dress it over the area.

I think in 3 weeks you will be seeing a good change and new green coming through.
Related
11/11/2023
Slab fall away

Landscape & Garden Design

I've got a challenge here. Background is the builder has cut too deep for the slab and the slab is now below the very substantial retaining wall. It's failed occupancy…

23/04/2024
Tiling a Balcony with Fall Away from House

General Discussion

AS4654.2-2012 External Membranes it is "Informative" but if you get water ingress your insurance assessor will go to this straight away and if not achieved, they will deny…

20/05/2023
Frame without roof for 2 months, mould and water pooling

Building A New House

This certainly doesn't look good. I would be engaging with an independent inspector to have a look at this. As for the unscheduled site visits, most builders are quite…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum