Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Turf help!!

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

The grass we have is patchy and looks like it is dying.

I need help choosing a turf to grow from seeds and the process to ensure it grows well. If anyone can give some tips, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
It would help if we knew your location? I spread lawn seed about 3-4 weeks ago and mowed it for the first time on Friday...just a light trim. Have watered it every day, sometimes twice to keep the ground moist but sowing seed in hot areas is going to be a LOT of work during Jan/Feb to keep it alive.

Otoh, if you can believe the forecasts then summer is going to be cooler than normal and quite wet which would help lawn seed germinate. No guarantees on that unless you have a crystal ball.....mine doesn't work, batteries must be flat!! LOL
Eemrald Kikuyu, this is my favourite grass atm. You will need patience as growing this grass from seed is slow.
I threw some seeds on the naturestip last december, didn't water it, didn't do anything to it at all, now there is a fairly decent coverage. By the end of this growing season I would think it would all be.
I'm in Adelaide, South Australia.
Someone has recommended Munns Golf Course Green Seeds. Anyone had any experience with them?

What is the best way to sow the seeds?
I sowed seed in august (nsw) and it has, within the lest 6 weeks, really started to take off. It has taken a while as it was still cold at nights during aug/sept.

I did the soil prep as per the laying turf thread and have used the Munns Emerald Kikuyu.
To sow the seed I used the chook feeding technique.

I can see that once the grass gets more established it will mix with the other grasses I have and make a nice lawn. It's even growing in previously bare dusty patches due to the prep and Fu juice..(mol/seasol/powerfeed)
One of the last things I could say for you to do is use seed.
I must have hundreds of posts with this problem here in homeone already.

Put some zeolite down over the areas in question.
Top dress the patches with (and I am very specific about this) an organic compost. (not lawn top dress and all that other stuff) It must be a compost.

Then take out sections from the healthy areas, plant them into the troubled areas.

If you have irrigation then make sure it's working effectively.

Have a read of the molasses thread too
Related
27/02/2024
Does this quote seem right? Turf + landscaping

Landscape & Garden Design

They using concrete or timber sleepers? Timber or steel uprights? Any drainage behind sleeper?

18/05/2023
Help with insurance claim

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, long-time lurker but first time posting. I've bought a house 2 and a bit years ago and last year we had some major water damage on a converted pergola area…

29/05/2023
Concrete Perimeter Help and advice

Paving & Concreting

Yes, unless you are in a low intensity rainfall area or the area is protected from rain. Do you have access to NCC Part 2 or can you download it? I can email you a copy…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum