Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Landscape with slope block, your advise much appreciate!!!

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

I am building my new house and now is close to completion. Everything so far went fine until I suddenly realise that I got landscape to do after all building work on my slope block. The block is fall from west to east with about less than 20 degree.

The builder provide a $3000 landscape allowance which could be minimal if want to complete the whole house landscape.
The only thing I can think so far is:

1. Pavers along east (alfresco) side from alfreso to backline and along the back house line to watertank with about 1.5-2m width brick/pave

For the rest areas, I have the following questions:

1. For landscape purpose, since the block is slope from west to east, do I need to flat the block ground to some level? Or hire someone with bobcat to cut the ground to make it flat?
2. I have some timber retaining wall on the west side, how much (per sqm) if I want to lay additional brick retaining wall for reinforcement?
3. Is mulch the simpliest way to cover soil ground? Does it still require ground to be flat to lay on?

I have attached some pics below. Also, I notice that there are two drainage points at the backyard. Should I give any special design to allow rain water drain away for this type of slope block?

Thanks heaps

East boundary side
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h369/umehomes/Eastside-slopedowntoneighbour.jpg

Backyard - slope from west
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h369/umehomes/Backyard-slopefromwesttoeat.jpg

Backyard (2)
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h369/umehomes/Backtard2.jpg

East side - retaining wall
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h369/umehomes/Westside-generalflatwithlaundryandwatertankconcretepad.jpg
any advice please. Thanks heaps
umehomes
any advice please. Thanks heaps

Give the people some time to see the thread. You did post at nearly 10pm on a Sunday night after all.

A couple of questions that may get the ball rolling though.

In the $3k allowance, has the builder already told you what they are doing with it or is it up to you?

I was under the impression that most packages that include landscaping are very basic and chosen by the builder. I didn't think you got to choose everything in the landscaping.
Thanks chrisandkate, the allowance can be used any way up to me. As mentioned, I would like pavers on the alfresco side (from end of alfresco to backline of house) and the whole backline along with air con to the water tank. Probably 1.5-1.8m width of paver.

Question concernd me is if I do my own way, then highly possible I need to flat the ground which I am not sure how to do or how much going to cost if hire someone with a bobcat.

Considering only $3000 allowance, it should be very basic but I can top another $1000 to make it looks better.
IT will depend on the quality of the materials used and plants.

You will be paying a premium for everything so you I would be wanting them to do the hardest things as you have already paid for it.

Not sure on the going rate for laying pavers, but if you can find that out then you'll be able to work out how much you can get for your money.
I found that paving rate around $40/sqm. Due to a tight budget, I will pave the majority of abckyard and leave the rest for mulch and choose some planting which make the garden not so boring.

However, I am still not sure how to make the ground flat in order to pave bricks etc as in NSW, it seems like builder only responsible for clean the rubbish e.g. rocks and building waste but flat ground will be your out pocket money.

Am I right? If so, anyone can suggest an estimation to flat the ground based on my pics above?

Thanks
hi,

be very careful with water draining direction, from the picture you have a house sitting on the lower side of the slope?

if the house is sitting lower than others you need to make sure the water are draining away from your slab,

I believe during the handover appointment you will be given a document recommending a 900mm to 1m concrete path around your house, if you are going to do this make sure the concrete path will be sitting higher than the rest of the ground, at least matching your slab level for the minimal, and falling should be consider for better water drainage, either to drainage point on your concrete path or away from the slab.

i would do mulch or something lightweight between your concrete path and retaining wall for easier water evaporation.

if you do concrete through out then there is nothing to worry about but i prefer a bit of natural "green".
Thanks rojak1, that is very useful information to know. My block is slope from west to east side which means the block on the west side of fence higher than my block and east side of neighbour block is lower. I guess if I can use the nature slope of a drainage solution, would it sound workable?

I do not intend to use concrete path but prefer pavers. So can pavers build along with the slope or it must require flat ground as base?

Thanks
i am not too sure about pavers around the house.

i am currently doing landscapping as well on my new house, initially i opted for pavers around the house but was told the water still get through, so really the best option is concrete path that lead water further away from the slab.

it also depends what type of paver structure you are after. if we are talking about stepping stone style paver, they need to level the ground, crush rocks, mortar the paver down, then topping around the paver stone, but with this setup there is no gurantee the water will drain away from the slab. if we are talking paver througout, like tiling, the ground will still need to be leveled, but it will be better for water drainage.

you may find that doing tilling type paver around the house end up more expensive than concrete path.

if you are doing concrete, and on tight budget, take note of the thickness, it should be at least 100mm minimal.

haven't see anyone doing paver on slope, maybe the paver may crack over time due to stress?
btw, i just realized your backyard is very similar to my old house, i did a L shape retaining wall 3 slipper high using red gum along the back fence. then level the ground, and grass.
Got a quotation as below:

. pave path from footpath to front step with Bink pavers, 1.5 metres wide
. place stones/gravel down side of house from front corner of house to end of patio
. nail treated pine to bottom of fence on this side (north side) and between stones and mulch
. install Bink pavers as steppers (in concrete) from patio to back corner of house and along southern side of house between concrete pads

Total including GST $1,540

* includes supply of pavers and all other materials. The stones quoted for are approximately $50 per cubic meter and are a grey mix. There are others available such as Bungendore Brown or Gold for $80 - 90 per cubic.

Although it was not the design I prefer, but just by looking at the quotation is it seems reasonable?

Thanks
Related
11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Landscape & Garden Design

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

25/02/2024
Slope land builders Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi All, We have recently purchased a sloping block (3.5m fall building envelope, 6m overall). Just wondering if you know of any good builders that you would recommend for…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum