Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Awful smell from neighbours dogs

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,

On 1 part of my house i have a narrow walk way its about 800mm wide (Concreted)

My next door neighbour have about 4 big dogs and every time i walk down that narrow concrete path on the side of my house... i feel like dry reaching because the smell is so far. It smells like dog *** everywhere. its very strong..

Is there a way i can prevent it to kill the smell? or a way to possible spray someone so the dogs dont wee close to that fence (Which of cousre will not harm the dogs)
Talk to your neighbor?
Quote:
Talk to your neighbor?
+1
Nope. Talk to your neighbour is all you can do.
Tikelz I feel sorry for you, my neighbour doesn't clean up the dog poo and after a shower of rain (especially on a warm day) the smell that wafts over the fence is horrendous. I've mentioned it to him but it's like water on a duck's back, they are both work and don't care...I might add this is in a dog-free estate and although there is a covenant in place just about every house has at least one dog, several have two and a couple even breed dogs.

I remember my DGM used to say human male urine sprayed around the boundary fence would stop stray animals coming into the yard...she enlisted all males in the family to use the watering can, don't laugh it's a true story!! LOL Male urine (naturally) has different pheromones. In my last house a neighbour's cat was being a total nuisance and even a polite comment received nil results so I resorted to male urine this time in the garden sprayer and it worked. Only problem is rain washes it off so you need repeat treatments.

Might be worth a try?? LOL
lol that was funny.. i think ill speak to the neighbour first... but to b honest.. i dont see that resolving anything.. its not like he will get rid of the dogs or put a boundary.... i might have to urinate on his grass lol
I would feel like going round there and weeing on their front porch till they did something.
Must really tick you off!
tikelz
lol that was funny.. i think ill speak to the neighbour first... but to b honest.. i dont see that resolving anything.. its not like he will get rid of the dogs or put a boundary.... i might have to urinate on his grass lol

If I were in your situation I would pile Napthelene flakes or Mothballs all along the fence.The dogs would never go within a couple of metres of it and if the dogs stayed closer to their owners property he may do something about it then.Also I do not know which State you live in but in most States you are normally only allowed 2 dogs unless you are a registered breeder.Also you may be able to get something done by the health authorities as it could come under health issues.
Topiarius
are they allowed to have 4 dogs? In my council area you are only allowed 2 unless you're a registered breeder.
Sparkly it seems to me that council doesn't give two hoots how many dogs you have. In the estate where I've built there is a convenant on the whole estate and you aren't permitted to have ANY dogs...it's dog-free!! But it seems that I'm the only house withOUT a dog, everyone has at least one dog, some have two and there are several breeders as well. Council must know about the dogs 'if' the owners have them registered because you'd think their dog registration register would flag the address?
HappyCamper_au
Sparkly it seems to me that council doesn't give two hoots how many dogs you have. In the estate where I've built there is a convenant on the whole estate and you aren't permitted to have ANY dogs...it's dog-free!! But it seems that I'm the only house withOUT a dog, everyone has at least one dog, some have two and there are several breeders as well. Council must know about the dogs 'if' the owners have them registered because you'd think their dog registration register would flag the address?

How is that even possible? That convenant isnt even legal.
Tell me more humble? PM if you prefer
Estates can be private property and can require home owners to have no dogs, same as an apartment block can. This is completely separate to the council though, so no reason the council would pick it up - assuming the dogs are registered that is. I would assume not though, as they'd definitely notice that there were 4 at the same address. Unless of course the owner has permission, but that's unlikely to be granted in most suburban neighbourhoods.

The smell is from the urine when it's warm and you will likely get it regardless of whether you manage to keep them back from the fenceline or not. I would suggest pointing out that it's a problem and asking them to do something about it. They will need to regularly disinfect the area, so you've little chance of that I would think. Next option is to report them to the council, but that would be a last resort for me.

In the meantime, I would grow some strongly scented plants in that area or try some that are said to repel dogs - dogbane [Plecranthus ornatus], Rue [Ruta graveolens] and Wormwood [Artemisia absinthium] are the only 3 I know of. Most of those you can also make a spray out of (a litre of boiling water over 3 packed cups of chopped leaves, stand overnight, strain and use within a few days. Wormwood can be diluted 50:50 with water. The spray and cut stems can be used to deter dogs and, with the wormwood just I think, cats. You can also dry and crush the leaves to make powders.

As a bonus, you can use the solutions and powders from the Rue and Wormwood to repel ants and to repel flying insects. The wormwood also does a good job with aphids, whitefly, cabbage butterfly and moth caterpillars, some bugs, fleas, lice, thrips, carrot fly and I've even heard of people using the spray on themselves to deter mossies and (makes my skin crawl...) kill scabies. I've used it as a flea powder on my cats before. Not tested it as a slug deterrent yet seeing as we've none growing here, but I understand it works fairly well - not sure why!
My neighbour has always had chooks, and during winter theres times when its been wet and muddy and chook poo, the smell can be fowl![lol, pun intended there].I ended up getting so sick of it that I did write an anonymous letter to council to complain about the stench and that I had concerns for our health as their were a lot of chooks kept in poor conditions.They have cleaned their yard up since then, still not great but nowhere near as smelly as often.I would do as someone else suggested, stack a ton of napthalene flakes near the fence, as even if it doesnt deter the dogs from near your fence, at least it will overpower the stench!Also Im not sure but I think that citrus may be a detterant also?
where do you buy napthalene flakes from? i cant find anything on teh internet
usually the supermarket or hardware stores.we are currently renting while our house is built, we have a shed on our block with lots of our stuff stored in there.My husband puts loads of napthalene flakes in there as apparently mice dont like the smell, mind you he has so much spread around I dont think any living creature would be able to survive in there.lol!mind you its not a bad smell I dont think, definitely better than dog pee/poo smell!hopefully your neighbours might get the hint anyway, if they can smell the napthalene.
lol ok i will check it out. would you be able to tell me what department i should be looking at? would that be in the manchester department? are they similar to moth balls?
tikelz
lol ok i will check it out. would you be able to tell me what department i should be looking at? would that be in the manchester department? are they similar to moth balls?

Coles have them and some Bunnings stores have them in housewares,they are packets of flakes and cost around $4.
You only need to keep the smell there for three days,thats how long it takes cats and dogs to break a habit and after the three days they never come back to that spot again.
Topiarius
Be careful when handling napthalene it's toxic so make sure you read instructions on the packet. I won't use it for this reason and I also hate the smell.
wow I am on 5 acres but our council laws states three dogs only and less on smaller blocks
Related
13/06/2023
Weep holes neighbours

General Discussion

it depends on the natural ground level, if they excavated their boundary wall needed to be built as a retaining wall. If you filled, which sounds like the case then you…

3/12/2023
Neighbours rights to house access during reno

General Discussion

The only thing to add to these comments is that where possible it's always good to try and work with people than just say "no" because you can. Having someone…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum