Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Awful smell

Page 1 of 1
Hello!!

I need some advice!! I have planted two indoor palms in large black pots with potting mix!! Theyyyy are giving off an awful awful smell!!! What am I doing wrong?? I really love having them inside as they give off life and colour but for some reason each time I water it stinks!! Am I meant to empty the tray underneath the pot each time be for I water???

Please help me and this awful stench!!!
sorry can't help but it brought back a memory of a "smell" we had in our house in the kitchen. Everyday this smell was getting worse and worse and worse, finally narrowed it down to the inbuilt oven..... We got someone out to have a look at it, they pulled it out and a mouse had got stuck and died..... ewwwwwww
it sounds like you're may be overwatering and the potting mix is going sour. If there is still water in the trays underneath then the soil isnt dry because it would suck that water back up into the pot if it was. Can you take them outside for a few days to dry out a bit?
There are many mixes on the market that are full of all sorts of things. One I recently used was so strong of a particular nasty fungicide it made me sick and had a headache. Of course the manufacturer denies using said fungicide but it does have a highly distinct odour.

If it smells like a mushy wet land then you will have been over watering it or the drainage in the pot is poor.

Always use a certified organic potting mix. They need far less water.
Or it could be your partner!?
With your palms inside, you may find putting fine gravel in the drainage tray, you will avoid overwatering. The smell is because they havent drained and the soil is saturated.
Put your finger in the soil of the pot and if it feels damp dont water, if its dry, then water a set amount only. you will then get used to their hydration needs.
Fu Manchu
Or it could be your partner!?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh dear I do hope its not the partner !!!!!
Fu Manchu
:lol: Or it could be your partner!?

Shoes look suspicious. Though, you can't beat my work gloves. (Old socks with a hint of Bob Hawkes unwashed undies) AARrrhhhhhhgh resile!
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum