Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Frosts and 40 degrees

Page 1 of 1
Hi

I'm looking to build a list of suitable plants/small trees for our 'house paddock' on our farm in the Hunter. Love hedges, so I guess photinia would be on the list.

Need hardy plants as we get frosts in winter & 40+ degrees in summer. And just for another challenge on the list, we're on tank water.

Already have crepe myrtle on the list, but would welcome recommendations of which ones are hardier than others.
Sounds like we live in a similar climate. I can't help you with any experiences growing a hedge, but for a feature garden I am actually growing palms!!!! I've taken a huge risk, especially considering that winter and spring are normally our wet seasons here when palms should be kept a bit drier, but there are certainly some types that grow pretty well around here. Two years ago we had 3 frosts in a row that approached -3 degrees, and the previous summer (our Black Saturday bushfire year) it reached 46 here.

Back to hedges, and taking your photinia suggestion as a cue: I take it you've seen this website?
http://www.timsgardencentre.com.au/super.htm

Pittosporums might be OK too, they also grow well around here, and give a bit of an English look. This website features them, as well as others:
http://www.swanesgardencare.com.au/Hedges.html

Good luck!
Westringea, Melaleuca nesophila, Vibernum tinus, yeah Photinia, Grevillea olivacea
Related
11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

7/05/2023
Builder not giving letter of commencement and practical comp

Building A New House

The HIA contract, in the term & conditions section states that "Commencment" is deemed when the drainage is started or the piers are dug or the slab is formed up (incase…

6/05/2023
Decks and Firepits

Building A New House

Hi there, We've just build a new hardwood (Greybox) deck and am wondering whether firepit protective mats/surfaces are sufficient? I'm not sure that they're heat…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum