Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

plants to add to a retaining wall area

Page 1 of 1
We are moving up to the Gold Coast soon and would like to add some plants to a wooden retaining wall about 500mm high which runs the full length of the block of land.
The front of the house just needs maybe 6-8 hardy small shrubs, or ground cover plants, which could maybe trail softly over edge of wall....
The wooden 10m long retaining wall at the side of house is visible from decking, with a pebble strip between decking and wall, so I'd like to add some plants like sub-tropical types, corylines,exotics, natives, palms, nandina bamboo, flax, grasses etc . the retaining wall is about 500mm high and I think about 500mm deep to the fence, so would need more upright type feature plants, maybe not growing any taller than 1.5-2m, together with some ground cover plants. pretty sheltered from wind and not full sun.
The house is about 4 yrs old but doesnt have much in the garden. It has a water tank but will need more water wise plants that establish quickly.
Does anyone have any ideas or photos of plants/shrubs which I could use in those areas.
Acacia Waterfall, Casurina Cousin It, Grevillea Gin Gin Gem.
Thanks
I googled photos and Acacia cascade ( not waterfall), Casurina Cousin It, Grevillea Gin Gin Gem.
might be ok in the front garden retaining wall...that area is shared with neighbours and they have a few shrubs instead of a fence, so I just wanted to add a few ground covers on my side..they dont have to trail over retaining wall and probably no higher than 50cm but can spread out.
I thought Convolvulus sabatius with mauve flowers , or cut leaf daisy, grevilla jelly belly 30cm x80cm, BRACHYSCOME Pacific Cloud 25cm x 1m with white flowers, Dwarf Agapanthus, kangaroo paw might be something to consider?

the back area im picturing more cordyline/croton,lilirope,draecena,bamboo,dianellas,knobby club reed,palms (not golden cane palm) etc not a fan of Grevilleas etc as they can look scruffy and woody in time, so want more soft foliage shrubs that could be the feature....dont mind the same type in a row etc ....at the moment there is scruffy looking Rhoeo which I would remove.
Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum