Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Raised vegetable garden

Page 4 of 4
Mind your cents.

We were chatting at work re a new system for credit card that does guaranteed user and card authentication.

The owner of the compnay has already been offered 1 billion $ by a large credit card company for his technology - which is still in beta trials.

He said nope - give me 1 cent per transaction - apparently the credit card company said - do you know how much that is per day !!!!

And he said - yep

Watch those roundings and 1 cent ticks folks.
Steve
Build with treated pine. Cheap, readily available, easy to use. Paint it pretty colours if you feel so inclined.

Line the sides with plastic. Cheap, anything toxic won't leach through it. Water can still drain out the bottom.
Treated pine is treated with some not cool things that are all known to cause cancer. This is part of the reason that kids playground equipment is not allowed to be constructed from it.

grow your own vegies so you don't have all the nasty chemicals and what not. I really would not support using CCA treated pine
sorry Al. But it is easy to work with
having vegies with harmful levels of cyanide is not real good
even having the sides lined with plastic I don't think would be a suitable measure to reduce the risk.
Fu Manchu
Treated pine is treated with some not cool things that are all known to cause cancer. This is part of the reason that kids playground equipment is not allowed to be constructed from it.

grow your own vegies so you don't have all the nasty chemicals and what not. I really would not support using CCA treated pine
sorry Al. But it is easy to work with
having vegies with harmful levels of cyanide is not real good
even having the sides lined with plastic I don't think would be a suitable measure to reduce the risk.

As said before, CCA has been used since 1931 and no one has ever died from it.
"vegies with harmful levels of cyanide" - if this were even remotely true, CCA would be banned like asbestos. Its use in construction has been restricted only as a 'precaution', inquiries after inquiries in various countries have all come to same conclusion - there nothing unsafe about it.
How many people have MDF inside their homes?? Now that stuff IS dangerous - its banned in most countries but we love it here!!
yeah you do have a point.
still wouldn't do it, but you do have a point
I have found a supplier here (Tas) that uses untreated hardwood !
Just read 4 pages of posts but no resolution on the garden beds and no pics of any?
I am about to rebuild my big vegie garden and my husband wants to build the perfect type of raised
vegie beds so it is easy for me to maintain- bless his heart!
Anyway, is there anyone who has a good example to show us? We are fully enclosing this garden with wire mesh to keep birds and animals out so really efficient beds are required seeing as we are going to all this trouble. Just want to get it right first time.
It is a great idea to raise your garden up-not sure on wha materials are best- but there are also some simple things you can do to help your back. I am an Occupational Therapist and therefore help alot of people to re- think the way they do activities.

1. Pots cannot be overlooked. You can have pots on a table for smaller plants and even trees can be potted like citrus and stone fruit etc. The benefit of these are- you can stand and garden. Take a stool or fold up chair to the pot and sit and garden. Weeding is less.

2. Its important to stretch your back before and after you have gardened. simple "childs pose" for your back, calf, hamstring, shoulder and neck. Only 1-2 minutes.

3. Think about your posture- roll your shoulders back, open your chest up, use your legs to bend not your back, use both sides of your body equally (e.g if you are digging with your right hand- swap half way and dig a little with your left). This might be slower at first but it is excellent exercise for our joints and mind especially as we age.

4. Alternate activities- rather than maintain one position for an extensive period of time- change it up- do a little bit of digging, weeding, planting- rather than just weeding all morning.

Anyway thats just a taste of some of the other things you can do- got to fly
OK, here you go. Three hardwood sleeper beds. At least you can see them now it's winter - they were just a mass of overflowing green a short while ago... potatos, celery, peas, beans, lettuce, chili, pumpkin green onions etc etc. I think we're now onto onions, carrots, brocoli, cabbage, celery

Untreated hardwood sleepers fixed with gang plates. Pebbles in between. Made by me, and I am famously unhandy with anything besides computers.

That looks great! Have filed your pic as inspiration for my DH
Related
1/03/2024
Native garden plans

Landscape & Garden Design

Fig Landscapes has produced an e-book and native plant index, available for purchase from their website. It's a great resource, full of inspiration and tips. Another…

27/03/2024
Vertical Garden Kitchen splash back design

General Discussion

Our Bondi Greenwall was impressive from day one with advanced lush plants to provide a wow factor to this recently renovated living area. The boundary was less than 1…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum