Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Letterbox position

Page 2 of 2
Here is ours:

We didn't put it right against the driveway because it'll get hit by a car sooner or later
We hadn't planned the pavers and path until after the letterbox, in retrospect we should have. But in the end it turned out ok.

Most people put it in more or less this position, often closer to the driveway. When we were deciding on placement we walked around the whole neighbourhood to see where everyone else's letterboxes were.
First_Timer_Ray
Because of the facade of our house, our letterbox is to the right (when viewing from the street) of the path to our front door. This means it is right in front of one of the portico pillars and we built the letterbox with the same dimensions (except height). I've never liked letterboxes next to driveways.
I don't see what difference it makes to the postie where the letterbox is as long as it is next to the footpath or at least an easy drive-by location. What's the difference between a driveway and a path to the front door?

So true. Well someone in this area has put their letterbox in he middle of the garden so effectively the postie would have to ride midway up the drive and into the garden for delivery.

We've decided to stick it next to the path away from the driveway. Never been a fan of letterboxes near the drive. Anyway I wanted it lined up with the pillar and DH doesn't want everything symmetrical and "perfect".

kex I got our letterbox made. I'll have to post pictures once it's erected. I love it so much and cannot wait until it's erected. A shame your place is full of rock. I think it's great you got your letterbox from the dump. Why not!?! Someone's trash is always someone's treasure and nothing beats a bargain.

Betherl it looks as if your letterbox sits nicely where it is. Good idea with the stepping stones.
Excellent idea with the reflectors when people reverse if it's near the drive! Good thinking 99......E11099
Our last house we had it next to the driveway where our block met the council bit. We ended up with a letter in the box one day asking us to move it forward or the postie wouldn't deliver our mail anymore!! The whole reason was because one day we had visitors over when he was delivering the mail, and they had parked on the driveway, so he couldn't easily do a loop to turn around!
Hi Everyone..

Hoping you can help! I had a bricky build my letterbox with a nice stainless steel box inset and then paid a renderer to render it
for me.. so ther letterbox ended up being quite expensive but matches the house and looks great.
the problem is we were the first ones on the street to put our letterbox in so were unsure of the setback rules for a letterbox..
when the bricky asked how far back from the road he should build it, I said 3m as i thought that was the length of the natutre stip.
turns out council strip ends where the driveway is cut.. which is around 3.5m.
so my letterbox is built on the nature strip. will i get told to move it back by council? looks like the footpaths are going in this week
ive done some measurements and looks like my letter box will be about 200mm from the endge of the footpath when it should be around 500mm.
what are your thoughts. do you think i will have to knock it down? I was hoping to add to it eventually and get a garden bed bricked and rendered along the whole
front of the yard... dont want to pay all that money if im told to re do it..

looking forward to your replies..
jackson
Dollar

kex I got our letterbox made. I'll have to post pictures once it's erected. I love it so much and cannot wait until it's erected. A shame your place is full of rock. I think it's great you got your letterbox from the dump. Why not!?! Someone's trash is always someone's treasure and nothing beats a bargain.

the funny thing is it had never been used. I'd say someone bought it then decided they didn't want to use it. It was in perfect condition.

I dont like the style but it's certainly better than a cheap $25 one from the hardware store
we have lived here for almost three years and still donot have a letterbox,even thought we have one in the shed to put in, one of those boxes ones in build into a brick one had hubby is a bricklayer too but not really a bit deal for us as we have a po box at the local post office anyway one day we will put that letter box in
Jackson,

your letterbox really should be on your side of the boundary that way no-one can ask you to move it and also you may be liable if somebody hits it.
Could you prepare a new footing or pad and excavate the mailbox out and lift it into new location with a bobcat using forks or slings?
I would not build anything onto it in its present location as you may be made to knock it down.
cheers

edit - actually Jackson you may be able to cut a deal with the footpath contractor to build you a little pad and relocate your mailbox - he will be in the location and will have all the gear.
To work out your boundary sight up and down the street and line up with front fences if you are in the middle of a straight section of street. Bit harder if you are on a corner or cul-de-sac.
Good point about footpaths, I'm also wondering where I'll put my letterbox if the council hasn't laid the footpath yet when we move in. It's a bit of a curly one!
Put it just inside your boundary, next to the driveway or path to front door.
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum