Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Lawns...

Page 1 of 1
Without wanting to be too controversial, there seems to be a lot of posts on how to grow a new lawn, revive an old one, what's the best grass, how to kill the weeds in it without the grass etc etc. So many people want a perfect area of flat, healthy green looking, grass with nothing growing in it. Especially it would seem, the dreaded 'clover'.

Sure we cut our grass regularly (well, perhaps monthly when it's growing...) and we use the mulch function on our mower. But we don't feed it. It gets plenty of nutrients from being remulched and from the leaves that fall off our gums, or the fruit from the trees that we don't find. It is strong and healthy and doesn't suffer from extended dry periods. We wouldn't even consider wasting water on it.

Yet, ask me what kind of grass it was and I'd say... grass. Mostly. I think. Maybe 20% other things...?

In my mind though, a 'lawn' is one of the most attractive and inviting areas of a garden. And not because of it's perfect looks. Yep, our 'lawn' is full of 'weeds'. Patches of crabgrass, couch, clover, oxalis, catsears, hawksbeard, maybe a few true dandelions, who knows what else

But we love it and wouldn't consider treating it with a herbicide!

A lawn (or in my case, more a meadow!) is where my children play and discover, almost daily, a new flower that my eldest will rush to show me. It's where the bees buzz in my ear as I sit reading to my baby, whilst her sister chases butterflies. It provides a soft landing when my eldest plays on her slide, or falls of her mini trampoline. It's the jungle where her elephants and dinosaurs live. The food source for her 'hungry, hungry herbivore' crocodile. The long wavy grass that goes swishy swashy whilst she hunts for bears (usually a cat
)

It's where our cats pretend to be hunting tigers, stalking their prey (usually each other!) and where small mammals or lizards hide so they don't get eaten. This is where the ants forage, climbing to the tip of a blade of grass and waving round precariously, before running down the other side. It's where the jumping spiders run around and watch cautiously as my daughter carefully tries to encourage them onto a stick so she can see them better.

It's where the kookaburras dive to when they see something particularly tasty and where the cockatoos strut around looking for wild strawberries. It's where the possums play hunt the plum or fig, when they drop the one they were eating and it's where the field crickets sing from at night. It's where the snails retreat to in the morning, after a night of feasting on everlasting daisies and the basil that I'm desperately trying to get to survive all this rain!

To us, our lawn is perfect

niiiiice.
A great reminder of 'different strokes for different folks' - we don't have to have a thing exactly the same as everyone else just because ... um... everyone has it.
Thankyou Englyn

I just wanted to say that there is a beautiful alternative to all the stressing everyone seems to do over their lawns. Plus of course, having all these bees and other assorted insects attracted to your lawn, means they're there when things you do want to grow need pollinating. Attracting insects also attracts birds, which will feed on the unwanted insects etc that are eating your veggies and herbs.

What easier way to do it than by having a meadow like lawn?
Well said. We've been in our house for 4 months, and while out the back depresses Hubby because he wants anal lawn, I couldn't care less provided it's got no prickles!
Your words were beautiful. Thank you for summing it up so well what I think.
from me too. Very nicely written.
That is true, however when you are spending hundreds if not thousands on establishing a lawn I'm sure you'd want to get it right too. I'm not the sort that likes to waste money, and if I can get some advice from experts or people who have done similar I will take that opportunity.
I'm glad you like your lawn though - I'm counting down the days until we finally have a lawn. In the meantime with all this rain, my eldest has loved sloshing around in the mud and puddles that is our backyard.
great post

I think sometimes you get lawn envy when you are in a estate and the neighbours have a great lawn
I am not a huge fan of lawn, (I prefer shrubs and trees) however it is a space where it serves many purposes
and is way better than pavers or a concrete jungle

people go to great lengths on lawn because its the great aussie tradition like the barbie
Nice post, I hate clover though, I was always getting bee stings as a kid. Whatever floats your boat is my view on most things in life. Some may view a meadow lawn breeding invasive exotic weeds as offensive as a over fertlized, chemical toxic, manicured lawn. Everything in moderation is the key IMO.
Beautifully written!
Thank you everybody

Ray - I can't believe that anyone would be prepared to spend thousands on a lawn, though I'm sure you're right! My husband reckons it's something to do with Aussies liking cricket

Unless used for particular sports (and there's not much room for those in most gardens - perhaps lawn tennis or croquet?), a grass is simply just a covering for an area to save you having too much exposed soil and weeding to do. Or having to find lots of plants to fill it to keep it under control. It looks better than having huge swathes of mulch. It is also used in preference to mulch etc because it's nicer to look at. It should also be easy to maintain - generally it's purpose is one of practicality, rather than to beautify a garden. Why therefore spend loads of time and money on it?

Beatrix - I get your point re: the weeds. There are however no weeds of national significance that are found in garden grass. I'm not sure about noxious weeds, will check more fully tomorrow, but mostly it's overgrazed areas and those that have previously been cultivated that have issues. Will report back and, if I have any in my grass, will duly remove them
Great lawn you got, thanks for sharing
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum