Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Native plants along the fence line

Page 1 of 1
Hi Members,

Are any website or links or suggestions for Native plants to plant along the fenceline in planter boxes.

I am looking for some plants which will grow max 2 - 2.5 mtrs tall. Any options you all can suggest would be great.

Thanks
ET
The water corp has a great list of native plants. http://www.watercorporation.com.au/W/waterwise_plants.cfm?uid=1267-6597-2997-2837

I've used Grevillea pink surprise along a fence line, it's about the right size and flowers constantly. If in WA Mangles roo paws would be fabulous.

For more helpful suggestions, you will have to narrow it down a bit for us. Whereabouts do you live? And what kind of garden feel are you going for? (formal/bush/tropical/cottage)
Hi Englyn,

Thanks for your reply. I am located SOR in perth. Also, the look we are going for cottage type look with native plants. I have constructed planter boxes all along the fence line and just wondering what could go in there.

I am constantly looking at the water corp list of plants....but the more i see the more confused I am getting. Anyways thats just me. I will put in more info tonight...just need to see some notes I made over the months.

Cheers
ET
syzygium cascade 'Lilly Pilly' Cascade. great hedge bush. good looking red leaves at shoots. responds very well to tip pruning. i've planted a solid line around my fenceline to screen the colourbond and give some extra privacy above the fence line. seems to work on the east coast in conditioned clay.
ethomas09
Hi Englyn,

Thanks for your reply. I am located SOR in perth. Also, the look we are going for cottage type look with native plants. I have constructed planter boxes all along the fence line and just wondering what could go in there.

I am constantly looking at the water corp list of plants....but the more i see the more confused I am getting. Anyways thats just me. I will put in more info tonight...just need to see some notes I made over the months.

Cheers
ET

Hi ethomas09 - wouldn't mind seeing your handy work - can you post some photos of your planters?
I second the syzygium! Look great as a planter hedge
There's always the turn-up-at-Zanthorrea (-and-bring-your-credit-card) approach

There's a grevillea for just about every requirement.

There must be some acacias that are about right too and with nice flowers.

Correas would look lovely but mine are growing slooooowly. As opposed to my creeping boobialla that I've put as groundcover in some of my planter boxes, to spill over and soften the edge, which is going bananas

Some of the tea trees or gero waxes might suit if you like that kind of thing. Also bottlebrushes, they grow taller than that but don't mind a regular haircut.
Here's some I picked from water corp as some of the more common and possibly suitable things:
Melaleuca
Tall Dampiera
Lemon-scented Darwinia
Hibbertia
Wedding Bush - has a very strong sweet smell when in flower. You might want to find out if you like it before you get some.
Related
3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

1/03/2024
Native garden plans

Landscape & Garden Design

Fig Landscapes has produced an e-book and native plant index, available for purchase from their website. It's a great resource, full of inspiration and tips. Another…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum