Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

So what have you done in your garden today?

Page 25 of 25
I'm lucky in that I can get straw here locally. But prefer to use mulch in summer. Trouble is it requires someone to place it.
I have a small pile of mulch at my place atm just no one willing to/with the time to place it.
I changed all of my sprinkler heads over to MP Rotators today and they are absolutely fantastic!!
The coverage is so much better and I scored them for just over $6 each from the USA (thanks eBay) instead of the $12 each at the local store.
Titch101
I changed all of my sprinkler heads over to MP Rotators today and they are absolutely fantastic!!
The coverage is so much better and I scored them for just over $5 each from the USA (thanks eBay) instead of the $12 each at the local store.

Excellent move. They will pay for themselves in no time.
Make sure you run them for 30mins instead of 9 or 10mins. They take much longer to apply 10mm of water.
Who on eBay did you buy them from?
Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to eBay but i got them from this seller

http://bit.ly/14GEodn

They are happy to mix and match different heads in a 10 pack and delivery only took about a week.

(Note: i think they put up the postage to Aus as I only paid $7)
That is a seriously good price and makes it affordable to more people.
Over the past few weeks I've planted a couple of banksia ericifolia, callistemon viminalis, acacia implexa, a corymbia ficifolia (not grafted variety), a couple of eremphila varieties, assorted grevillia, a tea tree, a couple of callistemon white anzac, 5 dodonea viscosa and a few westringia.

Yesterday my neighbour rotary hoed the front for us and we shall start moving soil and creating paths and beds ready for planting. Today I have started another compost heap as our compost bin is struggling with excess garden waste. I had to move quite a large rock and found a frog underneath. I guess he'll live in the new compost now??

Can't wait to finally start working on the front. We've only been in 3 years.
yesterday I finally planted 5 plants purchased about 6 weeks ago. I used a trowel since I'm still banned from the shovel. Today I've decided one is in the wrong place but I'm not sure where I'm going to move it to. Also removed a star picket that was deep in some ground holding up some temp fencing.( son removed the others) So not a lot but I was a bit stiff last night. Gently does it, with my back recovery.

Also bought 8 ground cover plants to sit near my door way in their pots to replace those planted. And arriving sometime in teh next two weeks will be ten dwarf nandina's. They'll be my next project.
Localish farm and field day coming up on the 20th and I always buy plants there as there are usually lots of great deals so my ground covers will need to be in before then.

We've also had some more fencing put in.

As soon as dinner is finished tonight, I will be heading out to plant a Valencia orange. Yum! Next to go in is a grapefruit but I'm still deciding which variety to go with.

Before tea, I will be marking out the front with some landscaping line marker stuff. Working out paths, beds, tree areas, etc. Then I need to start moving soil. That's not so fun. Once it's moved, start the planting. That is fun!
Today I ordered road base stuff and 90 metres of garden edging that will be delivered in the morning. I have 50 hardwood pegs and I will have to put in pegs and then attach edging by drilling in galvanised screws.

I am the world's least handy person.
I'm not entirely sure how to work the drill.

If anyone would like a free comedy show, I can PM you my address and you may sit across the road, sip coffee and laugh. I am positive that is what my neighbours will be doing!

I also bought a eucalyptus forrestiana and discovered a gorgeous correa I haven't seen before ( chef's hat) that has made me rethink the front a little bit. I am going to mass plant 5 or so of those correas to make a big gorgeous clump that the local birds will love. I think the green/yellow flowers and deep foliage will work well in front of the eucalyptus forrestiana, the silver princesses and the Callistemon king's park special that are going in and are all red flowering. There will be various lomandras at the very front. I can see it in my head, I hope it comes together as I envision.
Oh joles you don't know how tempted I am!
If we didn't have a huge weekend ahead here I'd go visit DD just so I could come and enjoy the show!

I moved one of the orange trees, planted 10 cuphea alba ( need another 8 but they didn't have enough in stock) and bought 9 tube stock natives to be planted across the front of the block.
Once again, today, I spent no time working on the garden because I bucked the trend and didn't do a high maintenance "Low Maintenance" garden.
Beer anyone? Lets take it easy.
hmm hubby finished most of the 3rd last paving path to be done at our place. Last paving ever! Well as far as we've planned anyway. Besides, we are finally almost running out of pavers after buying over 250m2 m of them.
Listened to Chris F give a bit of a talk about small farm care and waterwise practise.
Bought 10 tubestock eremophila's for a ground cover garden border next to the new path and a few little places about the yard and 3 replacement pincushion hakeas for those killed by hubby and/or the dog.

Kicking myself as I found out today I could have done a bus day trip to Perth yesterday and gone to Garden week and see Costa.
I'm going to rub it in and send you a photo of him there
I darn well knew you'd have been there

Was talking to our friends who are part of the country gardens scheme today and they were the ones who mentioned the bus trip as they'd gone up.
Oh well. Hope he comes back next year as I intend to take fridays off next year as well. Will def book the garden week day tripper bus now I know it happens.

Didn't buy anywhere near as many plants this year as I usually do at the farm and field day. Bit disappointing after last years plant bonanza.( Bought at least 30 plants last year and about 50 the year before that) Only 1 rose grower. Last year there were several and 2 came down from Perth. Still, I did talk to someone who is willing to get some grafting stock for me from over east for a rose I want so I can have it on Fortuniana root stock if I still can't get it here in WA. So not all bad.
I didnt do anything but look at the garden on the weekend
really wanted to get stuck in and clear out the weeds but time was the biggest issue. tonight im heading to my mother in laws to pick up a heap of her potted plants to bring home as they are moving to nannup on wednesday so looks like the garden will be expanding
yay!
Fu Manchu
Once again, today, I spent no time working on the garden because I bucked the trend and didn't do a high maintenance "Low Maintenance" garden.
Beer anyone? Lets take it easy.

I'm working towards it......
Except mine will be cider.
Nothing today! But we spent the weekend doing a little light pruning and feeding the plants in the backyard nursery. They'll be planted in about 7 or 8 months! Land should be registered in a week or two. This is our future front yard

Cody, great nursery! We did the same thing 2 yrs before we moved into our home. A lot cheaper to buy seedling etc then raise them. By the time it comes to actually planting them, you'll have a instant garden. Saving A LOT of $$$$$$

Last Mondy RDO was spent on our brick wall out the back for our verander and the new addition of brick garden beds down the side way. I was the brickies labourer whilst DH and mate were the brickies. I hate bricks.lol

Looking toawrds backyard/verander from side gate.

Looking back

Our block wall. 2/3 of the way up. Once this is up, then we can start on the steel framework. Cant wait to move the fireplace out of the garage into here.

Gemma our frenchie was just checking the foundations

Kellie and Gemma on a break. They wont be getting paid biscuits for this.lol
Cheers Rudolph1980
That's exactly why we did it too haha, cheaper and (by planting time) more established than what you usually find in a new estate home garden. Right now i cant wait to get stuck into gardening...i'm sure i will change my tune when we have moved in!

Great to see the dogs keeping an eye on things
So after a 6 hr sunday work day with DH, I can now put bricklaying down on my resume. Hubby and I have finished bricking up the sideway garden bed. Now this weekend hopefully hubby will get a chance to render it. (thats one thing I just cant do and wont get on my resume.lol) Ro the garden bed that higher, that will become a fernery with a place for all my broms to call home. A lean to will cover that. Then on the lower garden bed, will have a couple of water spouts coming out of a merbau screen, pouring into a pond below filled with plants and goldfish with bamboo either side of that water feature. Sort of hard to explain. Then nice lighting along path and uplights into the garden, lay the pavers for the path and rock and done. only will take the next 10yrs.lol

Looking from front to back onto alfresco.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/Rudolf24/DA902C17-EA84-409F-8FBC-64A768EAB924-5522-00000251A4B9DEAF_zps256fec57.jpg

Looking from alfresco to front
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/Rudolf24/DCFE3D19-3918-4E0E-89CF-FEA7BA83615A-5522-000002519F932746_zps84db1de3.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/Rudolf24/A74301EC-DD76-44DA-ADDE-D7D3676BEFE7-5522-00000251984D6993_zpsa5aee0ee.jpg
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

7/01/2024
What have been your experiences with building inspections?

Building A New House

You have mandatory building inspections and privately engaged building inspections. The difference between the two comes down to inspecting the building so it's safe and…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum