Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Setting a budget for soft landscaping

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
We are looking at doing some landscaping renovation work. We have engaged an architect who has completed the drawings, plans etc which have been accepted by council. All renovation work and hard landscaping (decking, retaining walls) has be costed. We are in the process of setting a budget for the soft landscaping works, but I have absolutely no idea where to begin. I obviously know that without knowing land sizes, design elements etc, it is impossible to set an accurate budget, but was wondering if there was a rough rule of thumb to getting an idea. For soft landscaping only, am I right in assuming that the vast majority of cost is the time factor? The other factors are obvously plant quantity, variety and maturity. Is there anything else? 80%of the surface area is going to be lawn, so this is easy to estimate. What about the rest? Is there an approximate amount per Sq Metre?
Help me please
I guess for the plants' budget, tubestocks will be the cheapest. If you want everything instant, expensive plants ( like established trees, grass trees, the cost probably would raise dramatically)

Maybe tell us how big the garden will be and also, you didn't state your location. It'll help others to provide more accurate estimate for you.

Also budget in the soil preparation part. It maybe more than you just thought but you plants will love it later
Thanks for the response.
I am in lower nth shore of Sydney.
Land size is tricky, and some of it on quite a steep slope.
Lawn is approx 100sqm. Plants etc would be on the perimeter, flower bed depth approx 2 metres. It's not a square block so these are rough numbers. We are completely gutting the existing garden so would need to assume that soil prep is required.

We have seen a couple of landscaping companies already and they all ask us what our budget is, I have no idea what to tell them.
Well that is tough.
We have a guide for what to budget for landscaping in one of the stickies.
Spend the money on the soil and the landscape will pay for it self in no time. Skimp on the soil and wonder if it was ever worth it or struggle to get it to do what you want it too.

You need a few bigger plants, a few mediums ones in say 200mm post and a few smaller in tubes. Tubes should be a round the $1.50-$4.00 mark. 200's between $7-15 and the bigger ones between $60-200 or more for really big

Work out your plants, see what you like.
For plants go to THARWA nursery http://tubestocktharwanursery.com.au/
up at Terrey Hills
$2.50 a tube for less than 10

Cheaper the more you buy
Related
18/01/2024
Soft clay in footing

Landscape & Garden Design

I've dug some footings to embed a post anchor into. My holes are around 450mm deep which I'll put a 200mm stirrup into. The bottom of these holes seem firm enough. …

6/07/2023
Renovation on a budget

Renovation + Home Improvement

Coming back to your old stomping grounds, huh? Renovations on a budget can be quite the journey. It's like giving your house a new lease on life. The twist of not knowing…

15/06/2023
Excavation for landscaping

Building A New House

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar. Retaining wall regulations…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum