Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

need to dig it?

Page 1 of 1
Hi. I don't have any idea on gardening or landscaping but I need to do something with the backyard. I would just like to prepare and level it. Right now, it has humps everywhere. The soil/ground is almost as level as the slab and is 1 brick below weep hole.

I was thinking of just dumping some screened soil filling for now and top it off with some mushroom or mixed compost. But in doing this, I will be coming close to the level of the slab. Should I :

1. dig the soil first to have some depth and them put soil filing to level it off then mushroom/mixed compost?

2. just put soil filling to level it off 5 cm below the slab and put 5cm of mushroom compost (still may need some digging)

also, a bobcat would not be able to get in the backyard. what is the best/easiest way of digging?

thanks.
Your slab should not be exposed anyway. If you can see your slab, your soil level is too low around the house. Builders will normally spread sand around the slab to make sure its not exposed.
thanks oohsam.. it is not really exposed but almost..
Bobcat too big? You can take a look at hiring a dingo or the smaller kangas

You don't have to have a level garden. You can have a slight drop, or a fall, away from the house so that will be fine if you bring some extra soil towards the slab in that way.

You might be able to cart out some of your soil and bring in some nice yummy organic soil and add some sand to it as well where you are.
Thanks Fu.. that's why i was digging out the soil. I read in one of your posts to dig all the way to bottom where the "natural" soil was, but I think it would be too hard. Will probably dig a little more and just put some compost and sand(?) in... But what sand?
Not sure what I might have been crapping on about there

Anyway, use any sand you can get a hold of. Of course some sands are better than others but that isn't so important really. Plasterers sand or yellow brickies sand will do. Washed river sand is ideal.
Don't forget that you will have to rotary hoe in the compost and it'll shrink down a bit when you do that and then water it.
Related
4/06/2023
Bathroom reno - do i need a bathtub

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hello It is good to have a planned bathroom reno to suit your budget and design, living for 10 years I think you need a bathtub

5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

8/06/2023
Does my deck need handrails?

General Discussion

I've just built 3 stairs off a landing out the back and been told by the private certifier I need hand rails sorry tried to attach a pic but couldn't mine don't have sides…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum