Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

How to store rainwater but no mozzie?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

After the downpour last week, we had a full wheelbarrow of rainwater. How could I store it without breeding mosquitoes? Can I just pour them into a bucket and cover it?

Thanks
A few drops of cooking oil in the water will stop them
Cooking oil can go off, I wouldn't.

Get midge mesh and cover the holes with it. Its not fly screen but the stuff they use on tents, much finer, can stop fleas. If you have an outlet that is open cover that too.
there is a fish that eat the mozzies maybe you can put some of those in the wheelbarrow, add some rock in there as well make it a water feature with wheels
Redman
Cooking oil can go off, I wouldn't.

Get midge mesh and cover the holes with it. Its not fly screen but the stuff they use on tents, much finer, can stop fleas. If you have an outlet that is open cover that too.

Well yes it does go off... but its not like you are going to consume the small amount that would be used anyway... not that it would go off in the few weeks that you would keep a wheelbarrow of water... if you were planning on keeping the water for longer then you would just get a proper tank.
Related
23/05/2023
Rainwater Tank not filling

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

But if it is a ground level open pit, then it is not a charged system. No surprises there. The pipes have obviously been altered and there would be a reason for this.…

13/02/2024
Charged Rainwater System Design

General Discussion

Once you know the basics, the rest is easy. Read my post in the thread linked below. viewtopic.php?p=1919271#p1919271

1/10/2023
Queries on Rainwater Harvesting

General Discussion

There is a whole lot more to know than just the answers you seek but they are a good start. Overflow outlets have a mosquito proof mesh. These…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum