Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Advice on roses and buxus hedge during renovation

Page 1 of 1
Are there some green thumbs out there who can advise on what to do...
We will start renovations hopefully in January and there are 6 standard iceberg roses and a beautiful buxus hedge close to the house. I am afraid they will get damaged by the builders.

Is it possible for someone with a "black thumb" to keep the plants alive in pots?
How big would the pots need to be and what potting mix should i use?

They will be homeless for up to a year.

I have been told to move them now, before it gets too hot?
Is it worth my while or should I give the plants away? It would be a shame for them to die!

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Can you fence the area off with wire mesh?
Unfortunately no. The plants are actually right in front of the bricks which need cleaning and re-pointing.

Any other thoughts?
Yep
get a standard grade potting mix or one in bulk. Buy some of the horrible coir mulch blocks.
You will need some of those floppy big buckets with handles and small small cheap plastic buckets (about $1 each)
Drill holes in the bottom.
Mix the bulk potting mix and coir mulch together to make up your mix.
Clip the buxus back 1/3. This means there is 1/3rd less foliage they need to take care of after you rip their legs off

The roses, well they are tougher than Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime. Clip them also like you did back in July. Same reason, less to look after.

Then to remove them, you need a precision instrument. That will be a really sharp spade
Get the blade sharper than Jamie Oliver's steak knife with a file, or what is more fun is a grinder followed by a file. You can then cut paper with it. (Not that you'd want too because scissors will do a good enough job of that
I gotta laugh at my own jokes because no one else does)

Now that the spade will go through the roots easier than Shane Warne going through the English batting line up, you have made the job pretty easy. You will need some secateurs now to trim up the roots a bit. Then pop them in the makeshift pots and you're done other than a dose of molasses and seasol

The coir peat makes for better water holding capacity and also makes rewetting the pots really easy through the summer. Try not to let them dry out especially in the first 6-8 weeks. Try pop them under shade for a few weeks or reduce the sun they get while they recover.
Sprinkle some seamungus around the tops of the pots.
While some of that is not ideal, it will get you a result on a budget and quick.
The roses will all survive, the buxus, well you might lose a few.

Look to do a bunch of cuttings from them also. You can use what you clip off them
Make shift pots from rolled and tucked newspaper or use dunny roll tubes like Deemaree has done. They make for a good make shift pot. Fill them with seed raising mix, clip, strip the bottom foliage off and leave a bit on the end. Dip in a cutting/propagation gel and there you go
Do 50 like that and if 30 take then there is 30 more than you had
thanks Fu Manchu.
Now to show you how much of a novice I am...
How big do I need the pots for the roses (1m high standards)? The buxus go in the smaller buckets?
Should I keep the plants in the shade after the first 8 weeks, or back into the sun. They are currently facing south, in full sun. I think I read somewhere that some plants don't like to face a different direction after they are moved!?
I will do a google search on "seamungus", "coir mulch", and molasses for plants!??
How long should the cuttings be for the buxus - I will definitely do lots of those.

Thanks for your help
By the way, can you do cuttings from the roses too?
Yes but roses are grafted for good reason and non grafted cuttings will not be resistant to soil diseases so they tend to last a short while. This is why roses are grafted onto Doc Huey root stock in the East coast and Fortuniana root stock on the West Coast.

Roses are made up of two plants stuck together to make one good plant. The rootstock is very strong but has rubbish flowers. The flowering top bit has rubbish roots but wonderful flowers
Just add Forum Homeone to your google searches and you will find what you are after
It's all here

Use the bigger floppy bucket things for the standard roses and the cheapo buckets for the buxus.
Related
18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

20/06/2023
What's unreasonable to check during a final inspection ?

Building A New House

i would suggest nothing is unreasonable for PCI. we did all sorts, including checking the hot water, checking all the GPO's had power, testing that the showers were…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum