Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Landscaping idea's for front garden

Page 1 of 1
Just after some idea's for small tree's to put in our front yard. It gets full morning sun (front yard faces east).Currently have yucca's for smaller plants, but are wanting feature tree's for the middle of the yard.

We are wanting 2, were thinking weeping cherry, but they look plain a lot of the time, and our neighbour decided he liked the idea so bought them for his yard. I want something that has a bit of colour. Thinking a max of maybe 1.5-2m tall? These will pretty much be the feature of our front yard and want something nice.

Please help!!

-Will try and take photo's and upload them soon
You want shrubs, not trees. Under prune them to shape like a tree.
Any suggestions for shrubs? I know nothing about gardening and just want something that will look nice, but I do understand the importance of getting a plant that will handle the conditions (full sun).
If you search hedges, nearly all those plants can be clipped up to look like a tree.
What about using a citrus tree
No reason why one of them can't be clipped down to that size and they will be sensational when they fruit

Hakeas and Grevilleas also do well for that.
Viburnum Emerald Lustre as well.
A weeping cherry does look brilliant and would set the garden off. I have one out back and its amazing when in bloom. (east side of house)

I have a japanees maple out front but it is protected from full sun as they do burn very easily I have found.

try to think what your trying to achieve in the garden, is there a theme, or something your trying to do and how this can all blend in together, I notice far to often people buy plants put them in the garden with little or no thought as to the impact it will have on the design or layout and wonder why it is just not working.

I have found that garden design takes time. You do a bit and gradually build upon it till you reach your goal, it cant be done in a weekend but is done over time. The main thing is the preperation, do this right and everything will fall into place.

I have found looking on google pictures to be useful, type in a garden design and view thousands of different images, this may help you in your design and selection at the end of the day. The main thing I found is attention to detail, its the little things here and there that makes the difference also.

Hope this helps.
a grafted weeping toothbrush grevillea would be very sexy
Related
16/04/2024
Front Fence Landscaping Ideas

Landscape & Garden Design

I recently finished my house and after landscaping, have begun to plan a fence. To be honest its been a bit of an afterthought so I'm after some much needed advice. The…

20/09/2023
Zero Lot Issue & Need Idea

General Discussion

You must be new to the internet. You're also the only person anyone here has ever heard of washing their garage wall. I hate to break it to you, there are insects and…

15/06/2023
Excavation for landscaping

Building A New House

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar. Retaining wall regulations…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum