Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

After some advice on lawn issues please........

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys, I am after some advice regarding our lawn.
We have Santa Ana which went down in early April with pretty good soil prep considering the rock hard clay we were dealing with (i would say to about 85% of the wise Fu’s recommendations plus the seasol, powerfeed and molasses treatment until June). Over the winter season with the sun taking a less northerly aspect, approx 1/3 of the back yard is shaded for most of the day, and that coupled with the great rainfall we have had in Melb has made the area very soggy. It is infested with moss and weeds (we have tried to stay on top of them and pull them out) and now winter grass. The remaining 2/3 of the yard that gets a fair bit of sun just has the occasional weed.
Am I right to assume that once the weather warms up and sun takes a more notherly aspect and covers the whole yard, the grass will spring back to life and kill off or maybe override (for want of a better term) the other problems? The grass has hardly browned off at all over winter compared to other people I know who also have Santa Ana.
I plan to continue on with the seasol, powerfeed and molasses etc as of next month.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Mate you will be pushing poo up a hill to get that area to become strong. Each winter the problem will resurface time after time. I'd plant out some Palmetto, SirWalter into those areas or look to seeding some Dichondra instead. The moss is fine. The weeds will be there because they can be
Put something in to compete with the weeds

No matter what, throw shade in any % with couch and you get issues. The scale of the issues varies with the shade but you get the idea.
Or you could over seed with rye or fine fescue, they would take over in winter while the couch is napping. Once the couch springs to life it will take over.
You know how to get steam coming out of my ears do you
He he, yeah I can picture the smoke coming from your keyboard
It's all good though Fu the oversow I suggested is just for winter, no water, no fertilizer no care. It's so grey and damp over here in winter than it grows just like winter grass and snuffs it late spring. Then it goes dormant and comes back late autumn. Sporting grounds are like that around melb couch for cricket, rye fescue etc for footy. The homeowner just doesn't need to care for the winter bit. But you know that, more for the other people reading.
I still reckon Dichondra is better

I love kidney weed
Thanks for the responses guys, it always amazes me how much controversy turf talk churns up on this forum..... always good for a laugh

Im thinking i might give it a chance to get through all the seasons and then make a decision what to do with it. im sure the problem will keep occuring like Fu said but i guess i owe it a chance to prove me wrong. If it comes good in summer i can probably live with crap through winter. If it is no good might look at paving the area or something.
Dont really want any more garden beds or planted out areas as we will have plenty, the lawn area is surrounded by our concrete sleeper retaining wall 1.2mt in from the fence line so we effectivey have around 35mt of raised gardens beds waiting to be planted out.
hhhmmmmmm decisions decisions
It may well come good this summer, but as each year goes by, the grass will weaken and be less vigorous in that spot and be harder and harder to anything with it in summer
At leats you have the answers for when that happens
Related
31/12/2023
crusher dust to level lawn

Landscape & Garden Design

the leaves that are now underground go yellow, the tips that poke through photosynthesise and have chlorophyll, same reason they grow rhubarb in the dark.

11/07/2023
Any issues?

Building A New House

I am looking at building a house. Has anyone used Construkt Homes (based in Adelaide)? Does anyone have experience with this builder?

27/07/2023
Slab design - contract issues

Building A New House

It looks your builder was trying his luck

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum