Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Retaining wall from excess bricks?

Page 1 of 1
We have a couple hundred left over bricks & are thinking of building a small (3-4 high of our double bricks) retaining wall for our front garden. Can we do this or would it be too much of the same brick? Dumb question but can house bricks even be used for retaining garden beds ?

Cheers
Kim
You can, and if it looks like too much brick you can render it or clad it with natural stone, stackstone etc. If it's used for retaining I'de go double skin (2 bricks thick), make sure there is a good footing. Use either brick ties to keep together or have a small gap inbetween and core fill with concrete. If the bricks have holes in them do the final course laid on their side to span the 2 bricks wide, do a few mitre cuts so you dont see the holes on the 2 ends. Remember to put a drain behind and backfill with aggregate to keep waterlogged soil off the wall, use waterproofer in the mortar as well.
That's a nice brick you have there. I dont think it will be over kill. I think it will be quite nice actually.
Go with Planned L'scapes suggestions. He knows his stuff.
Cheers.
Thanks guys. Bonus is that it is a double brick so I think we will be able to do just one brick thick. Considering we have around 300 left (shame 100 odd were stolen) and at $1.91 per brick its a cheaper alternative to sandstone blocks etc.

Cheers
Kim
sounds like a great idea. look forward to seeing the finished pics
Related
27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum