Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Slopped Retaining wall

Page 1 of 2
Hi All..

I am just a little curious about what is right and wrong when it comes to retaining walls..

The latest picture on our blog http://prestonatthecoast.blogspot.com/ shows our block and the retaining wall at the back (not the best picture) that the back neighbours have organised.

It is slopped, maybe is it OK to be like that but shouldn't it have been STRAIGHT? What happens now with our fence, that is going to be slopped too?

I wish we have of been a little established on our block before they started so we could of had a say on this retaining wall.

Please any info or help would be great!

Tammy
I know nothing about retaining walls but that just looks WRONG to me.....
Bek
I know nothing about retaining walls but that just looks WRONG to me.....

Thanks Bek - I needed someone else to say that so I didn't think it was just me!
definitely not just you.
if the land was sloping, then one would think they would put a gradual retaining wall... sort of like steps that go down, but the bottom is all the same level
sort of like this

i'd definitely be kicking up a stink about that wall!
Exactly what I was looking for to compare it too. Thanks.. How do I possibly kick up a stink when we don't own the land yet? Wait til settlement - 2 weeks & then cry?!? Haha

Oh man, they were lazy bastards! I feel like driving down there now and finding out the builders/contractors who built it and complaining.. But I can't I don't own the land yet!
Feeling your pain. My neighbours put up the dodgest retaining wall known to man and then wanted us to put the fence on it. We basically said no way- and after my builder told them that their fence was getting put in the too stupid basket and it would probably fall down within two years we won and put the fence on ground level.
There is no way in hell I would want to look at that ugly thing everyday.
not sure if it is the case in all states but we were advised that if the retaining wall is only on their land then there is nothing you can do about it. You are permitted to put a fence up in front of it though.
Even though there will already be a fence sitting on top of that reaining wall? I can put up another fence? "Kind of like backing on to each other?

I am going to take more pictures later today! Not happy Jan..

I am pretty sure that the retaining wall is on the boundary - they have knocked out our pegs to put it in!

It appears they selected the quickest way to erect the wall rather than the best way.

Given the side to side slope of the ground they should have stepped down a couple hundred mm per each section and kept each panel level but that would have entailed more digging and a spirit level.

The end result you have is a wall that will do the job providing that:

a: The posts have been set at the correct depths.

and

b: Each post and panel connect as per the manufacture's design. (It's a bit hard to tell this from your blog pictures)

Overall it just looks bad because the posts are not standing up straight and the panels are not sitting level.
KnockItDown
It appears they selected the quickest way to erect the wall rather than the best way.

Given the side to side slope of the ground they should have stepped down a couple hundred mm per each section and kept each panel level but that would have entailed more digging and a spirit level.

and

b: Each post and panel connect as per the manufacture's design. (It's a bit hard to tell this from your blog pictures)

Overall it just looks bad because the posts are not standing up straight and the panels are not sitting level.

How and who would I get to check this?

Thanks for your reply
Cooped07
KnockItDown

and

How and who would I get to check this?

Thanks for your reply

Find out the manufacture and contact them to see if they can provide you with any specs on the wall system. They may also be the best place to start with getting someone to inspect the wall.
I certianly hope they don't expect you to help pay for that.
What about the last post on the right of the picture, the retaining wall is left 'leaning' out into the boundary of the two places next door (your right neighbour, and your rear neighbour's left neighbour) - it just looks like d-o-d-g-y construction work IMHO.
That's right it is very ******* & almost all the posts are leaning one way or the other. Can't find out any information about who made or built the wall. I think perhaps they did it them selves. I need to find out if they have done it completely on the boundary or in their own property.. Regardless though it looks ******* and I would hate for it to fall on top of my children!
D-0-D-G-Y - didn't realise you can't say that word!
Gosh! I really think that retaining walls give people the biggest HEADACHE!!!!
This one has certainly given us a huge headache!
That is a terrible job. The posts are not straight, and the wall is not straight
How did they build it. I mean, the would have had to use a water level, how would they have made sure it was straight?

Either the wall is not straight, or the house is not straight! Take a water level and see if the wall is out. Either way that last post looks totally whack.
I cannot belive that job.
Take a ruler and plumb bob too...

Wouldn't that produce a collective lateral stress along the wall not being vertical? I would imagine it would want to "walk" downhill? The danger is collapse if enough top weight exceeds the soils capacity to anchor the last few risers.

Reminds me of old railway platforms on abandoned lines. They don't last long once they start to move.

Diagram explanation

A very 2D representation. Assuming the last post resists the others will bunch up forcing a sideways or outward momentum. At that point all is lost, the wall has lost most of its strength and you have to start again. Its like a train wreck in slow motion.

mass would be a % of the total weight (angle / 3.14)

So in layman terms - its gonna stuff up and it could be next week or next year.
...who would I get to check this?
Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

7/07/2023
Retaining wall questions

Landscape & Garden Design

Not sure what council area you are in. Some LGA's allow zero lot retaining walls. This usually occurs in greenfield developments but not often in established areas. You…

16/07/2023
Options for Retaining Wall Sloping Hill

Landscape & Garden Design

Howdy all. I am looking for feedback on what people would do to maximise and make an area as flat as possible. First, out the front of the house is a sloping hill, pretty…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum