Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

English Garden in Australia?

Page 1 of 1
I live in country Victoria and would love an English Garden on my nearly 1/4 acre site.

Can anyone help with how to create one?
Do you have any pictures of the sort of thing you have in mind? An "English" garden covers a lot of possibilities....
You definitely need to do the research, library visit for books or google searchs. Because you have to have rich soil, and a very good water supply. They are also a lot of work
I read my post back and I didnt mean to sound negitive, I love beautifull borders. Maybe you could start with some specimen trees, work out your garden beds sizes. Look at some subtropical plants that keep some greenery to keep some interest in the garden during winter.
Traditional english garden beds are nearly bare during winter as they use lots of bulbs and annuals. Do you get heavy frosts where you are?
OUr last house had what could be loosely termed "English"style garden on clay soil-ie: Decidous trees, roses, lawns,seperate vegie garden with fruit trees etc. We also blended in various Australian natives that suited the style. Once established it was a fairly easy care garden. Roses are incredibly hardy and drought tolerant if treated right initially. Yes, we had to mow weekly-and prune a couple of times a year-but due to our climate I watered rarely. So it will depend where you are
I think it is possible to get similar style with drought tolerant plants, euphorbias, lavenders, grasses. Have a look at this company's work, http://www.e-ga.com.au/ some look very English to my eye.
maggie
Salvia's work really well in an English garden - massive variety now and are extremly tough plants. Garden bed preparation & mulch is your key to ensure a lush English style garden.
Water and lots of it
Related
23/05/2023
Soundproofing regulations in Australia

General Discussion

If you don't want to annoy the neighbours then simply get yourself some good head phones. For me the sound is much better using headphones. The NCC (National Construction…

15/02/2024
Building Inspector recommendation in South Australia?

Building A New House

Adam Baines Grad Cert Bldg Surv / Grad Dip Bldg Surv / MSAAPA Accredited Building Professional APB20210035 Builders Lic 183023 Pest Control Lic 84868 Ph 0412202336 PO…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum