Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Finca?

Page 1 of 1
I was at a friend's house today and she had some lovely plants in her front garden which she said were called 'fincas'. Light green round shaped leaves with pink or white flowers. I've searched google and I can't seem to find anything of such a name. Does anyone know what this plant might be?

Thank you.
Vincas

Out of season to buy in nurseries now and if some are sold I wouldn't bother buying them.

The really good strong Vincas are grown in the peak heat of summer. They will be good and strong. The weak plants are grown by nurseries in the cooler times.

Seedlings are best.
You're in Perth so wait till Chrissie to buy them and they will last years

Buy some weak seedlings now and expect them to last a few weeks or just a few months.

If you buy them in pots buy the ones in purple Sandgroper Bloomer pots. Best grower of Vincas in WA
Cost about $2 each. Available once the heat of summer kicks in
The nursery that grows them for sale to retail nurseries and garden centres are bloody good grower of them too
Thanks Fu, lots of great advice there. However I've found they are 'blacklisted' on the growmeinstead.com.au website so I'm not sure about using them now. However I live in a reasonably new development with almost no nearby bushland so I'm in two minds. Any further advice?
yeah I wouldn't grow them. Potted colour is what it is and it gobbles water!

Choose some WA natives instead
Just as good flower but live so much longer.

Verticordias
$2-3 each in little tubes. crap on Vincas for flower!
Verticordia Chrysantha, monadelpha and then nitens. That's the order they seem to flower in

Dryandra nivea, wonderful and low.
Oh and sow some paper daisies in a few weeks once the winter cold fronts start coming through (late May/early June). Cheap as and provide amazing colour. Then collect the seed (easy as to do) and you have even more next year
No need to bury them. Just lob the seed around the garden
Rhodanthes are the ones I would suggest to use
I used to have some vincas that survived on complete neglect. They were a bit leggy though.

I have a pack of paper daisy seeds all ready to go
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum