Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

The latest addition to the house

Page 1 of 2
Hi all, here's a tricky one.

Our concrete porch is a little ugly, and we are going to put merbau decking from the front door to the footpath.

When I dynabolt the bearers to the concrete, do I need to put down a protective barrier between the concrete and the bearer to prevent rot in case I get water build up? I plan on using the appropriate treated timber for the bearers, but wasnt sure about putting dowen a rubber barrier between the bearer and the concrete.

If I have lost you, let me know. If you can help, let me know..

Edited because my typing sucks...
I think you want to put that black plastic vapour barrier there. Cheap and easy to do.

I'm sure some rising damp from the conrete into the bearers is bound to happen - so reduce the chance of it as much as you can.
Have you thought about some stainless washers between the timber and the concrete. I'm guessing you won't notice the small gap and it will allow drainage. Also, if the porch is not level you can adjust the heights of your bearers to suit.

I need to do a similar thing (someday
) and you've raised something I probably wouldn't have thought of until I was half way though doing it.
I went with the plastic barrier photos to come.
Adrian B

Full set of blueprints and all materials used too.

Thank in advance
Cool - AB

I was under my existing deck on the weekend and they've put black plastic under the joists which are sitting on top of Timber bearers and this is all 4 foot above the ground on steel posts.

So that seems to confirm it ws a good idea to seperate it for moisture reasons.

We look forward to your deck building moisture barrier protection kit being released soon

Steve
Product I used was Protecteadeck I think.
Al
Adrian B

Full set of blueprints and all materials used too.

Thank in advance
Nice work Adrian, looks great
Do you have an "old path" to the house photo as well adrian?
Steve
WOW !!!! That looks fantastic ! You don't want to do ours do you ?
Yak_Chat
Do you have an "old path" to the house photo as well adrian?
Steve

Was looking for one just before, but alas none was there. The paths snakeda around from the portch to the driveway, the rest was rock.
Fantastic. Well done!
that really does look great! ! And would be very satisfying every time you walk in your front door!
Maybe google earth still has a pic for you?
Hmm - brings new meaning to - just being able to do your own thing.
Steve
That looks great Adrian….. Very complementary to your font door!

Nice work.
And now let there be light
how very "trekky" of you.

Do you tap the v on your lappel to get in??

lol

Don't mind me I am just jealous...you have a house. I don't!
Adrian B
And now let there be light

Ooohh, looks trippy!

But very lovely.
Where’s the disco??????
Related
5/02/2024
1st Storey addition vs Lower level excavation

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, We’ve recently had plans approved to add a 1st storey addition to our existing house for a growing family in Sydney. With the current cost of building…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum