Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Does anyone know this plant please?

Page 1 of 2
Hi Fu and everyone, just wondering if anyone knows the name of this plant please and any information.
http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s360/gweluphome/IMG_0090.jpg
Cheers K
From what I can see, I believe it's a Dragon Tree? A dracaena. It could be Dracaena draco, Canary Island Dragon Tree. There are a few varieties.
THANKYOU

You rock......problem solved
I call it a Dragon's Blood Tree.
I have one in a pot on my front porch and I love it!

I've seen similar-sized ones at nurseries for around $300.
I'd love a really BIG specimen like this one as a feature in my back yard, but don't really have the room (or the $$)
:

The origin of the name is interesting.....

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1338759.htm
Hi Kek, yeah I am just starting my research into this one. I am not entirely sure we will go with it yet but its something I do like the look of. No mess No fuss.
Yes, you will find them listed with and without the "Blood". Common names can get very mixed up, changed and misconstrued. That's why it's best to determine and use the Botanical name of the exact plant you are looking for.
Hi, I have got 4 of them and they are pretty much no fuss and slow growing unlike yuccas. I bought them as they growth rate is about 1 metre in ten years and then the plant branches, flowers, and slowly becomes a tree. A nice big tree takes many decades so if your staying that long, put them in the right spot. The photo you posted i would think is at least a 15-20 year old tree. Great in pots though, strong stem and compact. http://www.dragontrees.com.au has plenty of pics and some info.
Great website Bk, just waiting for Ds to go to bed so I can check it out further. Thanks
goodness I was going to post that I thought it was a Dracaena Marginate . Imagine my surprise when i googled to find the correct spelling to find out they are now called Dragons Blood Plant. I had 2 growing in the garden bed next to our front door. ex indoor pot plants. Very popular in the 80's.

My mum has one growing in her back yard that would be similar in size to this one. I'll try and remember to take a picture of it tomorrow or on NY day and post it when i get back home.
Need to be careful. There are 40 plus varieties of Dracaena. They all belong to the Dragon Tree FAMILY. That's why I mentioned about the COMMON names. The pic below is of Dracaena marginata 'Tricolour'. These are the popular house plants we have around these days. The actual plant that gweluphome is talking about originally is not this variety, that is Dracaena draco. It has a more solitary trunk that branches from the top. More like a tree. I saw a very small one yesterday for $46. The Dracaena marginata tends to have long, thin stems/branches. The leaves can have a strip of colour along the margins or in the centre of the leaf. They are available in a variety of colours.
These are readily available and more like $15 - $20, sometimes cheaper.

yes I saw that, We had the green stripped thin stem version.

Mum has the draco one I think. Very thick stemed and I saw a photo of one with it's "flowers' looks like what i've seen at mums. I'm going to get a photo of it when I get to her place today. Will post the photo when I return home.
Great, love to see it!!!
themax
Great, love to see it!!!

Me too!

I think I'll keep mine in a pot. Don't really have the room for a monster, so it needs to be kept tame.
As promised here are a few pictures of Mums plant. I don't remember it being this big last time i saw it.

My eldest is in one photo to give you an idea of size. We measured him today and he is 174.3 cm tall. Mum said she originally bought it as about a single piece 20 cm high, in a pot and it grew several feet the first year. ( planted into the garden) She thinks it's about 15 years old. I saw it earlier in the year and I would think it's grown more than a foot since i saw it this year alone. It's in pretty good soil. She said if you get a cut piece it pretty much does nothing for the first 6-8 months and then will grow fairly fast after that. Unlike frangipani you put the cut piece straight in the ground.

\

From below. You can see some old flower heads.

The base.
Wow Kk, its massive...Looks very grand and good shot of DS for height comparison.
I am thinking it looks a bit different to the thick long stemmed tree I posted the pic of though.
Yours looks like the stems shoot off from the base.
I am not much of a green thumb as I may have mentioned before but does this mean its a different variety or just the way you prune it when its young

Thanks for the pic and the offer from your mum by the way
It's a different plant - I'm thinking Dracaena Marginata ...or something similar anyway. It's still a pretty spectacular specimen, obviously loves the spot it's in.

The Dragon's Blood tree is Dracaena Draco - "Draco" being Latin for "dragon", as all Harry Potter fans would know...
The name comes from the red resin it produces, which among other things, was used to make violin varnish in the 18th century.

That's your history lesson for today.
Thankyou kek, so if I go for this tree I can varnish my timber decking aswell.....sounds like a good tree to have in the deck.
Stumbled across this when checking something this morning.
Villa in Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
BLOODY SYNTHETIC/PATHETIC TURF!!!!!
For anyone reviewing this thread in time to come, there are a few plant types you can choose to get the same look.

The Dracaena Draco is the first. Dracaena Marginata will also do this.
Yucca elephantepes and the pony tail palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) will too
Related
22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

29/01/2024
Anyone know the process to stain axon cladding

Building A New House

The most definitive answer to your question James is this taken from the James Hardie Axon Cladding Installation Guide - i just happen to have it…

20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum