Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

My vegie garden and backyard

Page 14 of 14
Good question!
All I know is that if you put them in a bowl of water and they sink they are OK but if they float toss them!
Deemaree
Good question!
All I know is that if you put them in a bowl of water and they sink they are OK but if they float toss them!

I know that's how you tell if an egg is old cos the older they get the bigger the air pocket but not sure if that would work for this.
Me neither!
I've been informed that an egg outside all day in the heat will be fine! Yay!!

Also, today I found an egg in the laying box - Good Girls!!
Way to go chookies!
oh good girls! they will come around in their own time. hopefully more eggs in the hatching house and they will all clue on
they are so cute and fluffy!
They are very cute and fluffy which has has me worried in today's 40degrees but they seem alright

I honestly find it amazing how instincts just kick in - they don't have anyone showing them what to do and yet they work it out. It's pretty awesome
When I had chooks (about 2 dozen of them), I found that if they didn't want to lay in the nesting boxes, a golf ball or two in there would help to trick them. Just make sure you don't put too many in there or they'll go clucky.

Also my chooks didn't like to be watched while they're laying, left alone they produced much better... Guess they get stage fright!
Thanks Rossco, they certainly do prefer privacy and the golf ball is a good idea as I have better access to them. No egg today here
i cut milk containers in half, fill them with water, freeze them, then morning before i go to work, i put them in the coop. (ice by itself removed from container)

They huddle around them, then sit in the ground around them when they start to melt.

seemed to work very well, didnt see them panting at all today, and only one of the 3 were yesterday.
a gf of mine used to fill cool drink bottles with water. put them in a plastic bag and store then in the freezer. they'd be removed from the freezer and bag and added to her guinea pigs cage/ dwarf rabbit to keep them cool
trustno1
i cut milk containers in half, fill them with water, freeze them, then morning before i go to work, i put them in the coop. (ice by itself removed from container)

They huddle around them, then sit in the ground around them when they start to melt.

seemed to work very well, didnt see them panting at all today, and only one of the 3 were yesterday.

Oh great idea!! I have some milk cartons that I could do that for - and by having them cut in half they can then drink the cook water
kexkez
a gf of mine used to fill cool drink bottles with water. put them in a plastic bag and store then in the freezer. they'd be removed from the freezer and bag and added to her guinea pigs cage/ dwarf rabbit to keep them cool

Another great idea!

Thanks guys
Related
13/08/2023
Backyard Construction Project

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

That laser level looks lovely! We bought one for less than a quarter of that price off eBay. It worked really well for us and it's still going now, five years later. After…

21/06/2023
Dry Well in the backyard

Landscape & Garden Design

It's possible but a soak well is usually much larger. Your 'soak well' only holds 424 litres when full. What is your soil type? Soak wells need sandy soils.

11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Landscape & Garden Design

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum