Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Planting behind retaining wall

Page 1 of 1
We have a HUGE 3m backyard & have a retaining wall 150mm in from the boundary and it seems a bit of a waste between the retaining wall & the fence. Natural ground level is lower. Is there anything we could plant behind there to green things up a bit?
If you want something to cover the fence, perhaps some climbing plants? Lots to choose from there - Chinese star jasmine, wonga vine, clematis, just to mention a few. Or some ground covers can cascade down your wall, which is a lovely effect. There are a few ideas here.

Large shrubs that will develop big root systems are probably best avoided.

You could also put a row of plants in attractive pots on top of the retaining wall. I've seen this done really well, but can't find a photos just at the moment. 150mm is probably a bit too narrow for anything substantial though.

Your other alternative is to plant some taller species at the base of your retaining wall, so they'll grow upwards and screen off the wall and fence.
Folks a great newish plant variety in nurseries is this Casuarina called "cousin it" Not a tree like most would know
10cm high by 1m wide so excellent for on top of retaining walls but also in replacing turf in verges and front yards.

Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

14/03/2024
Junk left behind in an old house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Hi, just discovered all these junks left behind under the floor. Could any of these be asbestos? Best to leave as it is or clean up? Thank you for your thoughts

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum