Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

RHOEOs for garden bed & something else ?????

Page 1 of 1
I have garden beds about 60cm deep around the perimeter of our house. I am planning to have Moses In a Basket ( rhoeos) in one row but would love to plant another row of something else. But what ?

Should i have 2 varieties of plants in the 1 garden bed or just stick to 2 rows of the rhoeo ?
Any suggestions?

This is the rhoeo :

These are the garden beds :

Would buxus planted at the back & the rhoeos in the front look odd?

or

rhoeos at the back & dwarf mondo grass at the front ?
Mc Rhoeos
Everyone has them

Correa will crap on what a buxus does. similar leaf too and one hell of a winter flower show. Buxus is boring green all year

Correa Dusky Bells
will establish much faster as well. Get them in tubes to reduce costs of establishing a hedge.

Have a squizz at this thread to Southies

Hope it helps with ideas, especially mabe take a squiz at the didgery sticks.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26702
Fu Manchu
Mc Rhoeos
Everyone has them
But I don't !
Besides I haven't seen any rhoeos in our area

Quote:
Correa will crap on what a buxus does. similar leaf too and one hell of a winter flower show. Buxus is boring green all year

Correa Dusky Bells
will establish much faster as well. Get them in tubes to reduce costs of establishing a hedge.
Yes gorgeous plant but grows to a metre in height, 2-4 metres in diameter - that's going to take a lot of pruning
That's not going to work for us

Quote:
Have a squizz at this thread to Southies

Hope it helps with ideas, especially mabe take a squiz at the didgery sticks. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26702
Sorry Fu but none of those plants tickled my fancy
The Rhoeos are going to turn pretty yuck in winter.

Escalonia is a really good small hedge or even just a little shrub.

Sunny spot, what about Crassula Camp Fire?

Not normally this red. They tend to have more green in them with red tips.
I'd probably be inclined to suggest planting two rows of the McRhoeo. They will inherently cover that area with one row so best not have anything else in there or it's going to be a bit crowded by the end of summer.

Chuck down some pine bark or green mulch and it will come up tidy enough

What about a small hedge of cuphea?
was just going to say the same thing. that bed is too narrow for anything else as well as the rhoeo's.
they might well be commmon as muck but I like them too Fu
~~~~

I think they will be a disaster down here as it gets a bit cool for them and I've been told they don't like frost but I'm going to give them a go anyway. I lost a few in pots last winter but the rest toughed it out. My mum has been dividing rhoeos up for 15 months for me so I could have a heap of them as a garden border.

AND back to Southies
Are you wanting something with leaf colour rather than floral Southies? Otherwise I'd suggest one of the mini lavenders.

The cuphea would also look great and no flower heads to prune.
Yeah the little lavenders would be a good look there, but so much clipping to keep looking good, but by geeze they'd look good. Might not be enough sun though.

My hort brain is ticking over trying to think of something different and interesting to suggest
what about some dwarf abelias? If she is willing to keep them pruned. otherwise they'd get a bit big. At least the leaf colour varies.

I just bought 18 of these for a border hedge for out the front of our place. I'm going to be a busy bee keeping them cut down to around the 400-500 mm height.

or gardenias? the little ones.
Fu Manchu
I'd probably be inclined to suggest planting two rows of the McRhoeo. They will inherently cover that area with one row so best not have anything else in there or it's going to be a bit crowded by the end of summer.

Chuck down some pine bark or green mulch and it will come up tidy enough

What about a small hedge of cuphea?

I'd forgotten about cupheas.......used to have them in our old place - pretty little thing

What happens to rhoeos in winter ?
They go to absolute poo. They will be shabby and appear barely alive. The leaves can go mushie and rot and the rest gets eaten by snails and slugs.

then the warm weather arrives and they look a million Mc dollars again after 4-6 weeks of good temps and moisture.
kexkez
was just going to say the same thing. that bed is too narrow for anything else as well as the rhoeo's.
they might well be commmon as muck but I like them too Fu
~~~~
thank goodness I'm not alone on this one
Sorry Fu

Quote:
Are you wanting something with leaf colour rather than floral Southies? Otherwise I'd suggest one of the mini lavenders.
Kexkez, doesn't really matter. Just need something with colour & low maintenance, as our house colours are dark. Can't make my mind up as to what because there's just sooo much to choose from.

Quote:
The cuphea would also look great and no flower heads to prune.
Yes cuphea would be great but have had them previously & want a change.

thanks kexkez
Fu Manchu
:lol: They go to absolute poo. They will be shabby and appear barely alive. The leaves can go mushie and rot and the rest gets eaten by snails and slugs.

then the warm weather arrives and they look a million Mc dollars again after 4-6 weeks of good temps and moisture.

bugger
WHat about Murraya paniculata min-a-min?
This is not an Australian link but has good pics...

http://www.texasgardendreams.com/pl_dwa ... asmine.pdf
or
Alternanthera dentata, but you'll need to prune it into shape, very leggy at first. There are many varieties of Alternanthera and they vary greatly in colour and form.

or a nice happy smiley row of Dietes? Yes, I know they are common, but they are so tough and never fail to display, not to mention the white flowers will lighten the area up? I also thought of Liriope muscari. Will find a pic for you.

Dietes iridioides

edit - add Liriope pic. I have heaps of these at my place, they are lovely. Even flower well in the shade. No maintenance.

great choices themax . I especially love the dwarf murraya & liriope.

We are planting a large murraya hedge right across from the garden bed in question. Would having the dwarf version be overkill? Maybe I should use the liriope instead. Or what about dwarf agapanthus?

Do they all flower at the same time ?
There are few Liriope's. I like the Evergreen giant. They flower summer through Autumn but hold the flower heads for a long time. You will only need a single row, they will fill that space.
Aggies mostly summer blooming.
Murraya Min a Min -creamy white flowers in abundance in spring then again in late summer or early autumn, and also after heavy rain (or watering). I don't think it would be overkill, as it's a different area and the flow would continue, the same but with a difference. The Liriope is nice though for a change. The purple flowers are delightful.
All the same though, a row of Dietes in flower bobbing in the breeze always makes me smile
. I think I will put them outside my front windows. That's what I had in the last house in the same spot (faces West, very hot).
I like the Alt. dentata hedge idea
I have one at mine
I'm going to dig it up though, the colour isn't right for ours I don't think
You could have it if you want southies
I'll post it to you. That would be something else
A hedge in the mail all ready to go

It is a contained garden bed so the liriope would be ok. I never get them into nurseries too often ,like all the dietes, because they can be a bit invasive in gardens once established (3-5yrs) Nor do I use them ever in my landscapes for that reason.

I think the min-a-min would be a cracker too
OK guys......themax & Fu........it's a toss up between rhoeos
, liriopes & the min a mins

I might get DH to put in his 2 bob's worth - for once
Related
20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

24/08/2023
Old Covenants in NSW - Something I learnt this week

Building A New House

Hi Everyone I learned something this week that I thought would be worth sharing. In NSW a lot of developers of subdivisions put covenants on the land which normally…

24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum