Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Subsurface Irrigation with Gator Pro Greywater System

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a GatorPro Greywater System hooked up to subsurface irrigation under a lawn area.
We are just preparing the lawn area with sleepers and hopefully will lay Matilda turf in the next week. We want to run subsurface irrigation lines which I will then connect to a Gator Pro System at a later date, first priority is getting the turf established as we move in 2-3 weeks time. Which drip system is best, the area is 20m long x 4m wide, level surface.

Thanks
Bailey.
After a fair bit of industry chatter about in the last few months Iput my name to only Netafim. There is one that looks like a snake that swallowed a mouse, not recommended, the KISSS system has also changed from what it used to be.

Netafim the whole way. Make sure in your soils, that the irrigation is about 50-100mm deep. There is some argument about subsurface depths but for experience it can be closer to the surface than recommended.

spaced about 250mm apart at the most.

You need to use the purple/lavender pipe for subsurface applications.

However the problem faced with subsurface systems under lawns and to a lesser extent, gardens is the volume of water available from your chosen set up.
No point installing 200m of subsurface irrigation if your grey water system can't pump enough water to fill it and supply the water. You get an expensive mistake.

I'd suggest a storage type grey water system that can store enough water to irrigate your lawn effectively.

http://www.netafim.com.au/
http://www.netafim.com.au/index.php?sectionid=160
http://www.netafim.com.au/index.php?sectionid=162

I would also recommend the use of a flush valve instead of a tap. That way the flush valve works every time and to open the system up, just unscrew the valve and run the system for a short moment twice a year.
Thanks Fu as always a wealth of knowledge.
I plan to be doing something similar too
This is one of the areas I am doing some study in right now.
It seems there are many who warn against the use of grey water. Grey water will alter the soils biology and increase salts to plant roots. In many cases it can cause the soil to be difficult to grow in.

The flip to this though is the volumes of info about the successes with it. Any studies I have found though are short term, not long term. I know here in WA there are very strict guide lines to the use of grey water because of Perth's unique soil structures and massive ground water systems under the city. This is our water supply we live on. (not so much water from the dams)

It may be possible that thr toxins in the grey water have an adverse effect on the health of your turf.

Using grey water on vegetable crops should only be done with non root crops. Poisoning to you may occur if for example you eat spuds or carrots grown using grey water.
Related
4/10/2023
Sikaflex Pro instead of Window Flashing?

Renovation + Home Improvement

AFAIK, flashing is a minimum standard. Out of curiosity is your window glass stamped with AS requirements in any of the corners of each pane? Im almost certan if theyre…

15/04/2024
Pro finish tiling group

Renovation + Home Improvement

The wallopers will just say it's a civil matter.

30/10/2023
Running irrigation line under footpath (next to home)

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all I am looking to run a water line under my concrete footpath which is directly next to my home, was seeing if this is possible without cutting the entire section…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum