Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Palmetto vs Sir Walter Turf

Page 1 of 3
I need to turf down the side of my house, the area is quote shady at times and from the research I have come accross it seems Palmetto or Sir Walter would be the best varieties of turf to suit.

Anyone have an option on either of these varieties?

Thanks

Forget them.
Empire Zoysia. It tolerates shade better than both.

Of the two buffalos? Well, six of one - half a dozen of the other.
Thanks Fu,

I was looking into Empire Zoysia originally however everyone I have talked to has said that it doesn't handle shade as well as the 2 I have questioned.
That maybe an answer from a grower who either can't grow it and make enough from it or doesn't grow it at all or has no experience with it. They also may have heaps of buffalo to move.

I have a few pieces laying in my trailer after a week and it has grown fine in the dark, with no water. I can assure you I have never seen a buffalo do that! It would be dead and mouldy by now.
I laid it out for a look

Zoysia is one of the very best when it comes to shade

..and for the record I receive no payment from Ozbreed to say this about Empire. It is because it can have a massive collective impact on reducing a lawns effect on the environment compared with many others. and your hip pocket in the long run

You seriously need to consider changing your name to Fuzoysia! Has a nice ring to it!
http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk321/FuManchu5ltr/motivator1797789-1.jpg

You always make me laugh Fuzoysia!
Thanks, I think you have helped me make up my mind.

See the attached photo, this is the area in question, notice the fence and the house will shut out a lot of light. The fence is directly north.

I think in those circumstances being such a small area you are under estimating the maintenance requirements in such confined space. Lawn would of any type would not be suitable in that location. To dark. By that I mean there is different light to areas that are normally shady in regard to lawn literature.

You'd be pushing poo up a hill constantly. The volume of water required to maintain it would empty those tanks of yours in nothing flat as well
Edging around the tanks and pipes will be tough. Mowing with a cylinder mower would be very tough and a more agile rotary mower will give a very average finish.

A far more practical solution will be gravel of some type or paving. Maybe some toppings if you are in the Eastern States. No water, no maintenance and more time for you
hmm thanks Fu.

The photo was taken around 6:30 am so it would look darker then it seems in real life, the total area is around 45 square metres. Along the retaining wall we are building a garden with sleepers to flatten it off so the edging will be less of a problem down that side atleast.

It is our only area we could have grass as the rest of the sides of the house are even smaller where we are putting gravel and paving.
I plan to put in the sleepers for the garden bed tomorrow (Brisbane Public Holiday.. Woot!) so I will post pics once they are up, will also take photos in daylight, hopefully a solution can be worked out from there.

Stay Tuned
If you are hooked on lawn, then yes Empire is the better option. Do a straight strip only. Avoid the edges of the wall and the areas surrounding the tanks etc. Come away from the tanks and about a few inches in from the wall. Edging is a breeze then and mowing is much easier. It will also look tidier

Get good certified organic soil in there too. 1/2 to 1m3 for that area, dug through to about 300mm but deeper if you can. If buying in bags, around 10-15 at least.
This will break up clay, hold moisture and retain nutrients much better. you will also use little to no fertilisers

The practice of rolling out turf like carpet onto poor soil with some Dynamic lifter down under it has to stop. Do the soil prep
You won't regret it

Get the irrigation in too
Garden went in on wednesday and we have just finished laying the turf. Empire.

See photo

Mate it has come up nice. Keep it cut a little longer than normal if you can
Will Do.

We are very happy with the end result and thanks again for the tip / suggestion to use empire turf. Very nice looking.
Both Sir Walter and Palmetto are soft leaf buffalo's, but one is aussie bred and the other US bred. The both look and perform just about the same, also the same cost where I have seen. The only real difference I have heard is that Palmetto is a little more fussy of having broadleaf herbicides used on it, whereby it can yellow off a bit.

I will be trying some zoysia next summer though, I havent tried it as yet
I am in sydney. I wanted to use Empire too. But, I was told (by the supplier) that they need to be laid in summer. I kind of need it now!!! Any advice???

Where's the Fu signal when I need it most???
Here it is....

My next option will be Palmetto vs Sir Walter Turf then....
hehehe, good one eho!
Related
27/02/2024
Does this quote seem right? Turf + landscaping

Landscape & Garden Design

They using concrete or timber sleepers? Timber or steel uprights? Any drainage behind sleeper?

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum