Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Building a Bottle wall

Page 1 of 1
I would love to build a bottle wall about 1 1/2 metres high, 3 metres long. I've never built a wall, but consider myself quite 'handy'. I was planning to put down several rows of besser blocks before beginning to build with the bottles and then grout/render around them. I presume I need to put down footings? Can someone describe to me how I go about this? Would there need to be reinforcing rods running down through the blocks? And how deep down into the ground do I need to dig? Any tips very welcome!
Did you see this week's Grand Designs on ABC2? They built one around the shower.
Bottle
Can someone describe to me how I go about this?

Start drinking.....hic.........
Can't help either but it will be very cool to see
Brickie
Bottle
Can someone describe to me how I go about this?

Start drinking.....hic.........

I've been doing that - have been saving bottles for over a year!
themax
Did you see this week's Grand Designs on ABC2? They built one around the shower.

Yes, I did. I've been designing the wall for quite a while now but it's the structure I don't know about.
Bottle, I dont know which state you are in but have you ever been to Andamooka - opal mining town in remote outback SA - and there is a bottle house built entirely from beer bottles - about the size of a small tool shed but looks like a giant bee hive.
You can go inside it, I have done so, wish I had a pic from inside where you are surrounded side and top with orange glow of sun shining thru all these bottles.

Just a bit of useless trivia for you
Here is a bottle wall from the garden show this year, they used a metal frame which lets a lot more light through

Wow those are amazing! At first I thought a "bottle wall" was a technical term for something. I didn't realise it was actually a wall made out of bottles
(I'm having a blonde moment
)

That would be a real talking point at your future BBQ's
lisanne
Here is a bottle wall from the garden show this year, they used a metal frame which lets a lot more light through

Goodness - that's interesting! Not along the lines of what I'm interested in. But,Thanks!
Helyn
Bottle, I dont know which state you are in but have you ever been to Andamooka - opal mining town in remote outback SA - and there is a bottle house built entirely from beer bottles - about the size of a small tool shed but looks like a giant bee hive.
You can go inside it, I have done so, wish I had a pic from inside where you are surrounded side and top with orange glow of sun shining thru all these bottles.

No I haven't - it would be beautiful!

Just a bit of useless trivia for you ::wornout:: ::surprise:: ::smile::
Try this website page:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4929586_make-bottle-wall.html

Good Luck
Spoke about this this evening. A few suggested searching Youtube for a how to

There was one on around the world in 80 gardens with Monty Don and they can be viewed on ABC website with i-view, so can the grand designs show
Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

3/12/2023
Building on boundary retaining wall

Building A New House

Hello, We are about to build and the plans show a part of the exterior wall is being built on top of a limestone retaining wall. Does this mean the retaining wall will…

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum