Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Topiary, Pleaching, Espalier and Hedging

Page 1 of 2
If anyone is interested in the art of Topiary or needs information on designs, maintenance or tools needed, please send a PM or start a thread with your questions for me to answer
Re the photo of an Espalier and the frame from Fu Manchu,to grow this shape Espalier make a frame as shown of fencing wire or bamboo stakes then tie your small tree to it and tie a branch to each of the arms. When you have done this remove all other branches. Then cut the branches back to three nodes on each arm and they will sprout multiple branches within a couple of weeks. As these new brances get three nodes cut them back on the first node and again you will get multiple stems. Continue doing this until the branches reach the top of the arms and then clip into the shape shown.
I have to say this is a member I am very excited to have with Homeone!
Like very!
Topiarius is one of Australia's foremost leading experts in topiary.

Anyone requiring advice or assistance with espalier projects that think it is just out of their comfort zone or above their skill level, well think again

Having written articles for gardening magazines and teaching some of WA's horts the correct ways of clipping please make use of what is on offer here!

Topiarius will make it stupidly easy for you

In time, we will be able to post where this member can be found

Thanks for joining us

Folks this chap is an absolutely fantastic person. very helpful and very polite
... normally

Please make him feel welcome

I look forward to seeing some of your photos posted up (explain what has been done etc.) and maybe some how to's if your every get the chance toparious
I might add that there is someone better than him at Topiary in Australia.
So he married her
Topiary

Pleaching

Espalier

and most importantly hedging

Hi topiarius.

I can never get enough of landscaping photos and gardening ideas!
Welcome to the forum Topiarius!

I recently visit my parents in Perth and to my surprise, my dad (who works overseas and comes home every month for 2 weeks) has started to do some topiary! He used to do some Bonsai stuff and now he loves topiary. He has done a pretty good job but it seems a bit unusual amongst the sandy soil and the burnt grass!

At the moment he is trying to get a cone shape and Mickey Mouse's head.

I am glad this is a sticky. Hope to learn lots when we start our garden.
Get busy Toparious

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17076&p=250279#p250279
Welcome Topiarius, nice to have you on board.

Awesome pix, love pleaching- hedges on legs! Thanks Fu for the persuasion
Welcome Topiarius!

I would love to learn how to do a lemon or lime tree in the espalier format/way - where should I start?
sammy
Welcome to the forum Topiarius!

I recently visit my parents in Perth and to my surprise, my dad (who works overseas and comes home every month for 2 weeks) has started to do some topiary! He used to do some Bonsai stuff and now he loves topiary. He has done a pretty good job but it seems a bit unusual amongst the sandy soil and the burnt grass!

At the moment he is trying to get a cone shape and Mickey Mouse's head.

I am glad this is a sticky. Hope to learn lots when we start our garden.

Hi Sammy,if dad is living in the Northern suburbs tell him to call in at Drovers Outdoors on the Wanneroo Road and I will show him how to get Mickey up and running!!!
Regards Mike
I think it best I get my "a" in to "g" and sort these topiary videos in a higher quality video
then post them on you tube

Folks bare with him, he is new to forums and is learning how they work
I can't wait for you to be able to see some of his work
Easy Topiary part 1: Tools for topiary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9FV7mPprsc

Easy Topiary part 2: Standard topiary from scratch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZESELCk ... re=related

much more to come
Easy Topiary part 3: Clipping a standard topiary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYdJh5_Ayj0

Easy Topiary part 4: Clipping a larger topiary or hedge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkiX4pSQWOs
Seeing these photos reminded me of one I took in January when I went to visit my family in Sydney. This is one block down from my uncle's house (where I will actually be staying next week). I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when I go back!

What do you call this? I call it "Ivy's Revenge"

IMG_0738.jpg
Hi topiarius, I love the art of Espalier.

I have a wall on my garage, that I would love to do this with, full morning sun, all the afternoon shade.

What plant is best for that position?

Welcome to the forum……
Hi Topiarius,
I'm a newie to this too!!
Would love any further info on espalier, pleaching etc - am interested in making a freestanding espalier with fruit trees - do figs work?
Thanks in anticipation

Sarah
On behalf of Mike (toparious) I have this to post. He maybe able to offer some more advice on this

This is a nice example to show
Not sure where it is? Who ever has it must know a thing or two about topiary

Manchurian Pears pleached facing east west pretty much

how many years would it take for them to get to that size/standard?? that would look amazing up my western fence line- would it be ok to be run n/s?
how far apart, they look about 1.5m? id have about 40m to cover...
TIA!
Related
11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

7/05/2023
Builder not giving letter of commencement and practical comp

Building A New House

The HIA contract, in the term & conditions section states that "Commencment" is deemed when the drainage is started or the piers are dug or the slab is formed up (incase…

6/05/2023
Decks and Firepits

Building A New House

Hi there, We've just build a new hardwood (Greybox) deck and am wondering whether firepit protective mats/surfaces are sufficient? I'm not sure that they're heat…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum