Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Cypress Pine for Decking stump

Page 1 of 1
All

I have been quoted a pretty reasonable price for a merbau deck and one of the material used is a 100 by 100 Cypress pine stumps.

Is Cypress pine stump suitable as i thought only H4 treated pine should be used as stump on the ground ?

Thank you
Ifound this artical that says you can:

http://www.davidstimber.com.au/html/cypress_pine/posts.htm
cypress pine is a tough durable outdoor timber, it does have a tendency to split though. They are usually pretty moist when delivered, and when installing them during summer they develop cracks pretty quick as they dry out quickly.
Whilst it is a durability 1 softwood, I'd be inclined to go for H4 treated pine - it will last much longer in the ground. As said, cypress pine is a very brittle timber prone to splitting and surface checking. If you go for it make sure it is F7 or F8 grade cypress at least, not ungraded rubbish.
Related
2/03/2024
Recommendations for best value decking oil for pine decking?

General Discussion

Hi, as per the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best value decking oil (Bunning is close to where I live) for a treated pine deck? Thanks

7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

8/09/2023
H2 Blue Pine

Bugs & Suggestions

I’m just in the process of replacing 2 stud walls that have been severely damaged by termites and am planning to use h2 blue pine. I just wanted to if anyone can advise…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum