Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Vegetable Growing: A guide for home gardeners

Page 14 of 14
How many in your family? 4? 2? 6? 10? if you can get 2 of each and your family is small you may have leftovers to trade with others. there are a number of trading groups starting up in certain areas.
Lot927
Question, how many fruit trees do you think we need to sustain our family. I will be looking to plant Mandarin, Orange and Apple Trees. We have purchased an acre so I can finally put in plants that will produce fruit for us. Not to mention the veggie patch.

Strawberries and blueberries are on the list. I have grown both before but with the strawberries we never got to enjoy them as the slugs and birds got to them first. Any hints and tips for the strawberries....

Use netting over the strawberries for the birds and snail/slug pellets for the slugs.
animal
Hi folks, two questions

1. raised vegie garden beds, what sleepers to use? We've heard treated pine will contaminate food.

Agree with the previous poster who mentioned there are two types available, one that's not treated with toxic stuff. I would use the liner anyway.

We have purchased some railway sleepers to use for the next raised bed we are establishing. They (sellers that bought a bulk lot from an auction) claim they are untreated. They are also recommended in an organic gardening book I have. I think we will still line it to be on the safe side, and also for water retention.
Lot927
Question, how many fruit trees do you think we need to sustain our family. I will be looking to plant Mandarin, Orange and Apple Trees. We have purchased an acre so I can finally put in plants that will produce fruit for us.

Make sure your fruit tree selection provides fruit at different times of the year, otherwise you will end up with a glut in one season and no fruit the rest of the year.
Has anyone grown seedlings successfully using the Jiffy pellets? Wondering if they are worth the price.
Great info, lots for a keen new gardener to learn! Will be back with plenty of discussion/questions!!!!
bare_essentials
Has anyone grown seedlings successfully using the Jiffy pellets? Wondering if they are worth the price.

I use egg cartons or you can google how to make paper ones.
wow lots of posts. Use the right vegie mix. Soil mix is very important.
is there an update to the links in the first post from agricwa?
The links are now deadends and can't find this information on their website!
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum