Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Anyone know about Pergolas Gutters and Downpipes

Page 1 of 1
We want to build a large pergola out the back.
I did want a gable, but it was explained to me that you cant make them water tight as when there is a large down pour (Is it called weep holes - I cant remember
) the over flow will come out and into the gabled area. (Unfortunately we cant extend on the roof line as it runs in the other direction.
) Also dont want to put a flat roof under the guttering as it will be too low (plus love the space feeling gable gives) and I think it may get too hot..
He did suggest a floating roof (I think thats what its called..) but that doesnt look very water tight either!
I heard you cant put guttering or downpipes on pergolas, if this is true - why not?
Pergolas more often than not have gutters/downpipes - not sure why someone said otherwise. There is no reason a gable pergola wouldn't be water-tight.
I think someone is just not skilled enough to build you the pergola you want. we have a watertight one here, my mum does, my "motheroutlaw" does and a whole industry is based around extending entertaining areas that are weather proof.

I have seen too many examples to say otherwise
Even local restaurants have made use of pergolas and patios to extend service areas and make them weather proof for customers.
Can you post a picture, sketch or scribble of what you are trying to do, I can have a look at your existing rooflines and offer some advice on the best way forward.
You seem to be getting some lazy advice here, Im sure what you have in mind can be accomodated, its just a matter of detailing, connections and drainage.
Pat.
Thanks so much for your help..
Heres a rough drawing of what we would like...
Let me know if you cant see it properly. I'ld like the gable to be 4x4 or 5x5. Ive also been told that gables can be quite expensive.
They are a bit dearer than a skillion roof pergola - there is more timber, more roofing and a lot more labour.
If Im reading your drawing correctly, its not a great design in regards to the gutter. It will be very difficult to clean and will block and then flood if you have any trees at all around.
vvs mand
If Im reading your drawing correctly, its not a great design in regards to the gutter. It will be very difficult to clean and will block and then flood if you have any trees at all around.

Yes, thats the probelm I think we are facing...
Thats why I dont know what to do with the guttering... Obviously thats where the guttering is now... but then I guess when you put a pergola in front of that... you are going to have these probelms...
Im worried about when we have big rain falls. (during summer gets a little crazy sometimes in qld..)
Guess I need to find a reputable company thats going to give good advice.

We actually got rid of any trees/branches that were droping leaves in our gutters - so at least we dont have that probelm anymore.
I would be doing something like this.....
This way you maintain proper gutering, and your new pergola is integrated into your house.
Just a thought.
Regards,
Pat
ah that looks great!!

To go into the roof like that.. Is it much more costly?
We have a tiled roof, how difficult would it be? I think it would be worth it though!
And I guess having the gable pitch run the other way probaly wouldnt work and would cost even more!
(And may look a bit odd..)
Related
17/10/2023
Downpipes

General Discussion

Devkop The good news it is super easy to fix. Just get your plumber to divert it to the other side of the window. But for those people who are wondering what the…

29/01/2024
Anyone know the process to stain axon cladding

Building A New House

The most definitive answer to your question James is this taken from the James Hardie Axon Cladding Installation Guide - i just happen to have it…

22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum