Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Kentias - what to do with them

Page 1 of 1
We have 4-5 large kentias and some stag horns that we brought with us from our previous home.

Problem is we have nowhere to put them in the new house. We have little backyard and what is there is taken up with swings/trampoline and sun tolerant plants.

Can we sell them to nurseries? I'm sure they would look good in some else's house ... just not ours
. I'd like to replace them with some Australian natives that can tolerate the sun and are more suitable to SA conditions.
Advertise on ebay???? I know kentias are a popular palm and some people would love bigger plants.

Maggie
http://www.tradeaplant.com/Home
Thanks Da Vinci & Maggie

I've posted them on Trade a Plant.

I'll be interested to see how you go with the elkhorns DeeElle, I am going to have some for sale soon as well.

Had a look at your photo on tradeaplant and I dont think that is a photo of a kentia DeeElle.

http://au.images.search.yahoo.com/searc ... =slv8-tyc7
davinci
http://www.tradeaplant.com/Home

Looked like a great site - but oh so difficult to access. As I searched it just kept sending me round in circles asking me to "select a country" and when I selected, around we would go again.

Ed
The trading post is good too
(the "Quokka" here in WA)

Not many nurseries would buy second hand plants if they are to meet nursery industry standards.

There is a place here in Perth that does similar to what Davinci posted. His site is a little better though being online.

glad you posted it Davinci
I was going to say that if they are sun hardened you will get a good dollar for them
. But they aren't. They are a pricey palm over here and getting good sizes at a cheap price is hard. Mostly due to very stringent quarantine laws for plants coming into WA now... which is a good thing

I think you will get a good price for one over there in SA too. call around some wholesale nurseries and get an idea of prices for the height of yours. retail prices won't be an accurate guide
i have always had trouble with trade a plant navigation but it is only site of its kind that i know of
The site is a bit tricky but ok once you get used to it.

I'll check out the pic Colsy .. I selected one of the Kentia pics available on the site but I'll double check what came up in the ad.

One of the palms is sun hardened (does a few burnt leaves mean that
). I rang some nurseries and they wouldn't consider taking them due to laws re: buying from unknown sources (risk of disease). The kentias are all about 2 metres or more tall. The stags/elks are on boards about 800 high x 500 wide. I love them but we don't have room for them.

But the nursery gave me a good idea of what they are worth so I'll give it a go and let you know if it is successful.

Otherwise I'll try the trading post. Thanks for the link Davinci.
Related
23/04/2024
Omaxe homes - Melbourne - anyone built with them?

Building A New House

I haven’t. But have a Lowe Design home. Not only did I find Matt Lowe patronising and a bully, but the home is NOT TO CODE. I have water coming through the bricks…

13/02/2024
Safety screens! Worth them?

Safer Living

Hi everyone. I am a single mother with little daughter, living in a small tourist town in WA Australia. I am thinking to install security screens to all the doors and…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum