Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Our proposed garden plan

Page 1 of 1
Okay, this is what out backyard looks like currently and what we propose to do. I hope you can understand my very professional sketches.

NOW:

PROPOSED:

I want plants to kind of be like this all around the path area (minus the stairs as my land is flat)

I would like an entrance to the area something like this

and looking out of my gazebo/bali hut you will see a pond similar to this but with cascading water and a large buddah sitting at the top and lots more palms and ferns around it.

So what do you think. I know its going to take alot of time but it will be worth it in the end.

Now my question to the plant experts, what would be the best palms ferns ect to use. we get fairly hot summers and very cold (frosty) winters. what would survive the best in this climate.

Cheers
Nice ideas - which direction faces north?

That veggie patch looks rather small (but it depends on how much you want to grow)
Hi Stonecutter,

North facing is towards the front of the house, I already have the veggie patch in and it is a decent size for what we are growing.
Cool. Things I would consider

* Size of the balinese hut - big enough for tables and chairs? Would you want the BBQ nearby?
* Grow some nice hedging plants around your fence as well
* Is the hedge splitting the backyard going to be quite tall? Or just knee height. If it's a tall one but you still want to be able to see through - you could espalier fruit trees

I think it's going to look great! (The idea of the mirror behind the gate on the wall is a great one - always turns out well)
Wow your plans look really impressive! There are some great ideas in there.
However as you are living in, Shepparton are you really going to be able to grow those ferns? I haven't been to Shepparton for some time, but I believe it to be hot and dry.
The pond picture is great, because even if it dries up it will still be a good feature to admire.
I like the way you have divided the back yard into 2 with the use of a hedge. It's like 2 different gardens and at least you can get 1 section done and do the more complicated part later, while hiding the fact that it is taking a little longer.
I don't know what the stone section looks like, but I am not a fan of small gravelly looking stones so close to the house. The stones tend to get stuck to the soles of people shoes and then spread through out the house. Larger pebbles are better.

Good luck,
Adrian T.
Bust that poor veggie garden out into the open
The poor thing
, why are people to embarrassed to show some veggies.

I work with a girl who makes the veggie gardens not only functional but very attractive with great use of colours and textures.

Bung that Wattle up behind the shed instead
and plant a Peach or something at the back of the veggie area. maybe an Almond too...mmmm. Almonds

The rest will look great
Try and get tree ferns like Kalgoorlie Gold to grow in the full sun up behind the pond?
I am not embarressed by my vegie garden it was the only place I could think of putting it where the dog wouldn't trample on it. It gets full sun all day long and my veggies are now thriving. (it is the perfect size as i don't eat alot of veg). The wattle is already established and huge so it wouldn't fit behind the shed. I will look into the fern you suggested.

Drax: I hate the stones personally but DW loves them. I would say they are more of a stone than a pebble but I will use alot of them for the pond area. that stoned area near the house will eventually be decked.

Stonecutter: I have a bbq area under the patio attached to the house so the hut will only be used to chill out in, in the evening.

I know this is going to take quite a long time but i thought i should start planning it now.

Cheers
Why is there a hedge splitting your yard in two ? I think that's very odd indeed and will immediately make the whole yard look small and confused.
Because that's how we want it. I don't think it will make it look smaller and will give privacy to an area of the yard. If we leave it open it won't give the same effect that were after.
Good plan wingies, looks like you have a decent sized yard?

stonecutter1309
I think it's going to look great! (The idea of the mirror behind the gate on the wall is a great one - always turns out well)

stonecutter/wingies - Can I just ask what this is, I don't see it in the plan anywhere? And how is it a good idea? thanks
(just looking for ideas myself
)
I think Stonecutter means having a door on the wall with a mirror in the middle so it looks as though it has another area behind it as the mirror reflects the garden area in front. however I don't think the picture with the door has a mirror in it, it actually looks through to the garden.
If you're going to split the yard then I'd split it across the back, not down the middle. A screened back section would be like a secret garden effect. I think a middle split will actually devalue your property. But I know you like the middle split so I'll say no more...
Actually, I never thought of a back split, however wouldn't that make the yard appear smaller as you had suggested before?

I might draw it up split at the back and see how that looks.
I think I get the concept of what you are doing and it appears that the garden is already evolving in a practical way. I am not real sure about the hedge thing but what would be good is like in old parks when you have areas of dense vegetation with gaps that lead to or you can see through to a grassed open area. That would be very cool looking. Use some small trees right along the area that is marked hedge. (all the same) then in a few spots have a dense shrub and up near the shed have more dense plantings of ferns and tropical looking plants (so you don't look at the shed from your nice pergola area). that would look awesome. Very inviting, still divides the garden but you can move through easily in places. Good opertunity to create soft paths or smething running from the house and to and from the pergola up the back. Maybe plant some other smal trees behind the line on the side of the Pergola and water feature. That would help cool the house a bit too.

Bring the pond further forward so you can do a dense planting behind it. This can hind the power outlets, pump, filter what ever. It also makes it look a little more natural rather than something that has been taken from a forest and plonked into your yard
it will come up great.

look at denser plantings down the sides and back to make the area look more natural. I do agree with cabin fever and try the same concept the other way round.
Thanks Fu,

I think I will look at our plans again. My wife did have hesitations about having the hedge split the yard but I talked her into it

I think I need to visit some parks, not many in my area.

Let you know how I go.
Related
9/04/2024
Proposed walk in linen

Renovation + Home Improvement

Do you really want to accommodate the window? What is on the outside of the window? Do you want to be able to see your towels from outside? I would blank the window from…

1/03/2024
Native garden plans

Landscape & Garden Design

Fig Landscapes has produced an e-book and native plant index, available for purchase from their website. It's a great resource, full of inspiration and tips. Another…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum