Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Retaining walls

Page 1 of 1
I need a new retaining wall on our property.
Currently we have a retaining wall but its made out of old railway sleepers and we cant stand the look of it.

We are thinking of limestone blocks versus twin side fencing but are undecided.
We had a quote for limestone retaining wall that was $20k
That includes removing the old retaining wall and all earthworks associated.
I want to look at other options, I have a few questions about twin side fencing:
I assume twin side would be cheaper ?
Up to what height can we have twin side ?
Limestone looks like it will last forever, will twin side too ?

If anyone could give some advice or another option would be greatly appreciated
Terresa P….you might like to post this is the gardening forum; it will be seen by the garden gurus that way.

Or, I can move the post if you like to the gardening forum.
Yes please - can you move the post to the gardening section.
Thanks Michelle
moved!!
The twin side doesn't go too high. I rendered one with a flexible render and to this day has not even cracked where the panels join. It was about 800mm high. It looks like a nice rendered wall, so that may be a good option to get it looking better.
Please explain twin side fencing?

Could blue board be used to make a retaining wall?
Is the current sleeper based wall stable and sound? why not just add a new stone based wall in front of the sleepers, and backfill it in.

I have put down a wall of Boral heathstone blocks (Ok its only 50cms high) on a concrete foundation. I poured the foundation, then laid the ifrst course whilst the concrete was slightly soft, so I could hammer in rio rods thrugh the blocks. Each block was about $4, and is 20cms high by 40cms long by 9cms. deep.

We are now looking at Terraforce for our retaining wall.
Here is a bit about it: http://www.terraforce.com/
Has anyone used this before ?

Looks similar to what you have suggested Adrian. The Boral website advises that Heathstone is designed for up to 1600mm, and higher than this should go for Keystone and pics of this on their website show it doesnt go straight up and is angled back into the hill - so very similar to terraforce.
Some sections of our retaining wall will be 2000mm high so we have to go for either Terraforce or Keystone.

I know we can lift the Terraforce blocks ourselves but not sure about Keystone blocks, will have to look into it. Its preferrable to do it ourselves as its a cheaper option.

Quote:
Is the current sleeper based wall stable and sound? why not just add a new stone based wall in front of the sleepers, and backfill it in.
im not sure if this will be ok, the sleeper wall is 30 years old and doesnt look stable, although if we cement the lower blocks in and backfill it could be ok ?

Quote:
Please explain twin side fencing?
Here is a link describing twin side fencing:
http://www.twinside.com.au/

Terresa
Hi Terresa P - Did you use the Terraforce retaining? I can't figure out how to do 90 degree corners with it & wondered how you got on. (Would prefer to use Boral's Heathstone but it's not available in WA)
Related
22/05/2023
Urgent!!! Bathroom walls

General Discussion

Render your bathroom walls, two opinions versus the one, makes you wonder.

30/05/2023
Rendered cladding walls cracks

General Discussion

The spacing of the studs looks pretty large especially for a load bearing wall.

23/03/2024
Strange noise in the walls

General Discussion

Nope, only on the inside, I've literally has my ears to the brick outside and can't hear anything. I can sort of 'reset' the noise by pressing firmly on the studs. This…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum