Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Our Landscaping Story

Page 10 of 10
Looks fantastic Geoff-well done!
Ta!

The last time we'd worked so hard on landscaping was when we moved in 3 years ago. You know the type of sore that you feel that is a good type of sore? Yep, but it takes longer to recover from now!
Oh, I've been feeling that all week!
Eager - it's looking great - just imagine how tropical it will all feel when it grows! Love the pavers and stones.

Eager
The last time we'd worked so hard on landscaping was when we moved in 3 years ago. You know the type of sore that you feel that is a good type of sore? Yep, but it takes longer to recover from now!

I know that feeling and we've only been moving in and cleaning the rental!! Still got the garden to do
Nearly finished! I knocked up a simple frame next to the bins for the purpose of screening them off, and bought some plants and the screening. I got 3 rolls of this:

Here, the screening is roughly installed to gauge how it would look. It soon became apparent that it would be better to have a double layer of it on the frame, so later on I did. :

I still have the last roll to install, but I jumped ahead and whacked a couple of plants in and spread some pebbles there to get a feel for the finished result!:

Still need to get some quality soil delivered, and i hope I’ve got enough pebbles. I’ve still got another giant Bird of paradise to put in, and I bought a Clivia too, and I’m thinking that a few Lady Palms will grow well there too. That garden and fence only gets morning sun on it for 6 months of the year so it should suit tropical looking, shade loving plants.
Looking good
Thank youuuu

For all intents and purposes, the whole deck-extension-and-landscaping-job, in progress since May, is now COMPLETE!

Yesterday I put up the final roll of the bamboo fence screening, and it wasn't until I placed it next to the other stuff that I realised it was a slightly different colour. By then I had already destroyed the packaging so I whacked it up anyway, and I'm fairly confident that with a bit of aging it will all look the same. All 3 rolls looked the same in the shop, honest! The pics actually show it up worse than it really is.

Once we had bought our initial batch of plants for the garden we were able to determine how may more to get. In total we bought 2 giant Birds Of Paradise, 2 Clivias, 3 Lady Palms (I am supremely confident about these; we have several in our rear garden and the one that is doing the best is also sheltered against the same fence), a Birds Nest fern and something else that I forget the name of now! In the corners either side of the deck are Dwarf Himilayan bamboos.

Today we also got some dirt delivered to enable the garden to be established and to top dress the lawn area, which I have also re-seeded. We still have some dirt left over which we will use to even out some rough bits in our back yard, and some pebbles too, which i can spread between some existing pavers around the place. It feels soooo good to finish it all!

Woo hoo ... looks great and you're right about the bamboo - won't take long till it all looks the same. Great job - that's a big tick off the to do list!!
What a difference to when you started ....
Thanks Mclaren, I really appreciate it.
It's looking awesome Geoff!!
Thanks Lisa!

By the way the off-colour section of the bamboo screening is starting to blend in, and one of the Birds Of Paradise has already unfurled another frond, and the grass has grown through the top-dressed lawn area. I thought the Agapanthas next to each side of the deck might have sprouted some stalks by now, but no. I'm hoping that when the do, and they thicken up a bit, it will become a bit of a barrier for the dog to prevent his hop-skip-jump heroics across the deck lol!
^ So I no sooner post that than go outside and have a look and see some of the agapanthas in bud.

Anyway, drumroll: From the back garden, our first ever home-grown Bird of Paradise flower! There are more on the way too!

Looking great eager.
I love that lawn area with the stone surround too. It looks really lovely next to the decking.
Thanks kex! The deck is getting plenty of use too, it has become such a pleasant place to sit because it is so versatile, depending on the time of day one can be out in the open but in the sun or the shade, or under shelter again in sun or shade. Versatility plus!

I should take an evening pic one day. I bought myself 4 of those citronella burning bamboo flares that I put in the gardens next to the deck (we can have our very own Survivor tribal council meetings lol) and they look great.
gaynelleperth
We used the guys @ Christies Landscapes, in Perth (https://christieslandscapes.com.au/), for our front yard. The work they did actually got featured on a garden magazine! A great team to deal with. HI

gaynelle. You posted on an 8 year old thread about a garden in another state ( you are in WA) and your first post is to promote a business. I've just found you've posted about this business in the only other post you've now made. How about you share some more info about your garden in a new thread of your own so we can admire it.
Related
28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

28/12/2023
Builder for double story house in Tallawong Schofields NSW

Building A New House

We bought land in Tallawong Schofields NSW size 30m X 12.5m and planning to get double story house build around 350 sqm. We are thinking about having premium inclusions…

15/06/2023
Excavation for landscaping

Building A New House

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar. Retaining wall regulations…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum