Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Is it possible for me to do this water leak job?

Page 1 of 1
[youtube]https://youtu.be/y9PRYfTLFeQ[/youtube]

Hi,

I am just wondering if this job is possible for normal people.

The issue that I am having is that when the water hits the wall, the water leaks from a tile 30cm away from the shower area. (Please refer to the youtube video)

I'm not particularly good at describing things so I hope the video helps in understanding what the issue is.

I was going to engage a plumber but just wanted to see what the community think before I do that.

Any advice on either
1) how to fix
Or
2) you must engage a plumber

Would be great!

Kind Regards,
Chris
knhchris
The issue that I am having is that when the water hits the wall, the water leaks from a tile 30cm away from the shower area.

Any advice on either
1) how to fix
Or
2) you must engage a plumber

How do you know it is from that tile in the corner and not just leaking under the shower screen?
Hi Arcadelt,

Thank you for your reply.

I tested by putting the water on each tile and it seems to be that the leak is observed whenever water hits that corner.

Kind Regards,
knhchris
I tested by putting the water on each tile and it seems to be that the leak is observed whenever water hits that corner.

That seems a reasonable troubleshooting approach, but just be mindful that the water may take some time to travel behind the tiles. Be that as it may, you do not need a plumber as you do not have a problem with your plumbing - the problem is with the integrity of tiling (tiles, grout and/or glue). The waterproofing barrier behind the tiles should be sound, so water is probably leaking in behind the tile and running across the barrier to come out at a different point. If the leak is minor and you know roughly where it is coming from, you should always use silicone to seal the grout in that area (it is unlikely to be the tile itself unless it is cracked). If the leak is more significant you might need to get a waterproofer or tiler in to scrap out the old grout and then re-grout. You can do this yourself, but you want to be careful to not scratch the waterproof barrier when removing the grout as that will have worse consequences over time.
Hi Arcadelt,

Thank you for the info.

Great, I will apply the silicone to seal and see how it goes!

There aren't much leak as you have mentioned so I am hoping that this gets resolved after.

Will update you

Kind Regards,
Hi,
You can control the problem temporarily with some tips but for the permanent solution, i think you must reinstall the tiles. You can approach a home maintenance company like HomeGenie they are good in providing masonry services.
Hi all,

Thank you for all your replies.
I have applied a silicone as a temporary fix. It has been working so far. I definitely agree with getting a professional to do more permanent job! Will need to save some money for that
Related
7/09/2023
Leak in wall new house

General Discussion

If you make sure all taps inside and out are turned off, what does the water meter show if you leave it for a while.

8/10/2023
Bathroom Leak

General Discussion

Hi all, I am hoping someone has some ideas as to what is causing my bathroom leak. The leaking appears to mainly happen when we turn the sink basins on. It takes a while…

9/01/2024
Leak through concrete after putting frames up

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you doing this with a building permit? Conversion of a non habitable room into a habitable room requires building permit.

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum