water is requested, but the flame never lights - my guess (and it is a
wild guess) is that the thin gas pipe for lighting the flame has got
blocked by some moisture which has frozen when its cold and clears
when it warms up a little.

Anyhoo - anyone got any suggestions on what i can do to allieviate
this issue? As you can imagine, not having a shower before work isnt
too nice.

Thanks for any help.
Is the gas turned on, can you smell gas when the water is running?
yep gas is on, and no, cannot smell gas either when its functioning or not functioning.
If you can't smell gas then it must be blocked somewhere maybe the jets as you said, You need a gas person (plumber) to look at it for you,.
had a plumber look at it, couldnt find an issue (hence my post here) - and the fact that it only "blocks" when cold, would seem to suggest that its related to the weather, not a more permanent block...

was hoping someone else had run into something similar.
slow reply - but just to round out... i ended up just replacing the hot water service... for $800 it was cheaper to replace than to keep on getting plumbers out with no progress!
Hi
Most gas hot water systems except for storage work on flow rates. I would suggest that you turn on your hot water tap only. Once the water comes through then add cold water. If you turn the cold tap on first than add hot water, sometimes the heater will not fire up the burners.
Most heaters require about 6/min to fire up.

If this doesnt work, it may be the power pack has gone on your heater especially if it is Bosch unit with no power cord attached to it

Regards
Shane
Related
3/11/2023
How hot/cold does a sunroom get?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Depends how much direct sun it gets. Is there any shading (eaves or trees)? If the sun hits a window directly it doesn't matter too much if it's double or single…

21/01/2024
A cold joint in concrete

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi guys, I want to butt a concrete vegetable garden bed against a concrete build up of a carport. It will be a 700mm high wall about 120mm thick and I will run a 12mm rio…

16/04/2024
Help me understand this Hot Water System

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

the sun master is the solar heating to "warm" the water in the tank the S26 is your hot water system which will heat the water (25 degrees?) so with both turned on you…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum