Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Unable to remove cap from top of Dorf tap

Page 1 of 1
I need to change a washer in a leaking Dorf tap in our bathroom, but try as I might, I can't get the tap cap to budge.

It's a standard tap set like this one, and unlike the other taps in the house (which are also Dorf), the caps on this set seem impossible to remove via the usual methods ....

I broke a plastic tap cap spanner trying to budge it (ie. one of these spanners) ...

Normal hexagonal sockets won't fit the cap at all because the cap is octagonal, not hexagonal, so my next attempt on the weekend will involve vice grips. I've given it a generous squirt with WD-40.

Any other ideas?
some taps have a nut(needs a special tool)underneath the handle
Thanks mate. I had a look last night with a mirror and you're right - it looks like a ring with two holes is securing the tap head. Any idea where I can buy the special tool? I wonder if a pair of circlip pliers would work? eg ....

Quote:
Any idea where I can buy the special tool?

Any plumbers suppliers but if its extra tight you will find the spanner lugs straighten out or break off

Quote:
I wonder if a pair of circlip pliers would work? eg ....

Would probably be a whole lot stronger.

When you replace the nut add a smear of grease to make it easier next time
Related
17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

26/08/2023
renovate bathroom remove step up into ensuite

Bathrooms and Laundry

the step up is 30mm and wanting it to be flat . how much does the concrete have to be lowered .we plan on removing bath and lenghten shower and adding seat. the old bath…

4/11/2023
How to remove the security screen (A&L windows)?

Windows & Doors

You have no photo with your post. Best I can say is to remove an A&L flyscreen don't be afraid to distort the frame almost like a trapezium. It doesn't take a lot of…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum