Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Professional trowel render V DIY Roll on render

Page 1 of 1
I have shed which I've converted into a studio, 2 sides only = 30m2. I replaced the galv. with blueboard and have started to flush the joins. I'm interestd in any feedback on my 2 options to finish the blueboard. Either:

a) I pay a professional renderer (likely uses Dulux acrotex system) which will cost me $1500 ($50/m2). I then need to paint over the render myself ($150). Total = $1650

b) I use the Dulux roll on render medium texture http://www.dulux.com.au/specifier/product/dulux-exterior-products/effects/product-detail?product=9999. Cost = $280 (20 litres).

I'd obviously prefer the cheaper option, however I've heard mixed reviews on how well the roll on render can hide my scrappy joins and how easy it will be to apply?

Les
les_step, we have used Dulux Medium Textured Render Paint with great success - discussed in previous topic.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53310

Pictures on bog.
Hi Debra, thanks i saw your blog. Your wall looks goods. I saw some other negative comments on the product so wasn't sure what is best. Once I start I can't really go-back.

- How well does the product hide imperfections? i.e. is it quite thick and will it hide the blueboard joins nicely with 2 coats (my flushing is not perfect)?

- Is the texture fairly similar to normal render (grainy finish). I presume you used the recommended 12mm nap roller?

- How hard was it to roll on. It always looks easy on the dulux video however I have learnt from past experience its often more fidly than it seems.

- How many m2 per litre do you think is realistic?

Thanks very much, Les
les_step
Hi Debra, thanks i saw your blog. Your wall looks goods. I saw some other negative comments on the product so wasn't sure what is best. Once I start I can't really go-back.

How well does the product hide imperfections? i.e. is it quite thick and will it hide the blueboard joins nicely with 2 coats (my flushing is not perfect)?
The product was excellent (Medium Texture) on the Blueboard. Joins - Applied 'Rockcoate Joining Compound' (over tape) which sets quickly; so smooth best you can. We only rolled one thick coat, approx. 20 sq mtr from 10ltr tin with good coverage. -

Is the texture fairly similar to normal render (grainy finish). I presume you used the recommended 12mm nap roller?
Yes, finish looks like a grainy render. Used the 12mm nap roller but have since seen Dulux make a 'render roller' which would probably load paint to the roller better.

How hard was it to roll on. It always looks easy on the dulux video however I have learnt from past experience its often more fidly than it seems.
Roll slowly, do not try to roll like paint - load the roller and spread in a small section going back to even out.

How many m2 per litre do you think is realistic?
10ltr tin covered our 20 sq mtr wall with one good coat.

We figured $120 tin of render paint was worth the experiment; as you've noted a trade job would be well over $1000.

Debra

Thanks very much, Les
Hi
I know this post is a while back. How did your render go Les? Do you both think that it will be the right product to paint over this surface?
https://whitewallsandsunflowers.wordpre ... -finishes/

Thanks, really appreciate any tips.
B.
Related
9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

4/10/2023
DIY External facade stone cladding

General Discussion

Re my second point – yes exactly. And often it may take additional time if the manufacturer recommends no more than X meters…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum