Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Tiling Laundry Floor - Waterproof?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I'm just about to begin the prep work on our laundry floor to complete our first reno.

At the moment the floor comprises quite simply ugly vinyl over concrete, the vinyl hasnt been glued or anything and from inspection there doesnt seem to be any kind of treatment to the surface of the slab.

I'm just wondering, do I need to apply some kind of waterproofing or other preparation to the slab itself?

Can I tile directly onto the concrete?

If I need to waterproof how do I go about that?

The house is all brick on a concrete slab, thanks in advance
Its a good idea to water proof any floor surface that has the potential to get wet, yes you can affix tiles to concrete providing you use the correct adhesives, I would also recommend you use a water proofing mixture into your grouting before applying the grout.
You can buy waterproofing paint from most hware sores it is however quite expensive, you just paint it on with a brush
Related
3/10/2023
Laundry floor has recess under cupboard

Laundry

Waterproofing wet areas, including laundries is a requirement now. I don't know if it was 12 years (for a laundry) but I can't see why it would t have been. Have you got…

28/02/2024
Laundry Floor Help Please!

General Discussion

The requirement is for a waterstop to be installed to the entries of the room, (a small aluminum 'L' angle to retain the water to within the room) can't see if they have…

2/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help for bathroom/laundry

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is a very tight fit, I'm not sure if you'll be able to achieve what you've described. Would you consider accessing the separate toilet from the laundry? If so maybe…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum